Sierra Designs Vapor Light 1

10:40 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
414 forum posts

Being tempted by a $182 sale price. Anyone want to try to talk me down or should I just give in? The elevation chart for next month's loop has me trying to drop some weight ;)

4:26 p.m. on August 23, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
414 forum posts

Other options have joined the battle...

REI put the Hubba on sale for $209 starting today and LLBean has the hubba-like Microlight FS 1 for $179

How is a poor man supposed to decide who to throw his money at?

7:16 p.m. on August 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

I don't have experience with the Vapor Light.. but I do own the Lightning HT 2 Sierra Designs tent.  It's a pound heavier, but has 2 entry points which I like.  The construction of my SD tent is pretty solid.. and I have had no issues with it.. so I would expect that from any SD tent.  I have read on other forums, however, that SD is notorious for poor customer service.. so that might be something to keep in mind.

I do like the Microlight FS1 design for the side entry point.  It seems alot more convenient getting in and out.  Plus, the Microlight is slightly lighter (by 3 oz?) and you get the LLBean warranty.

I've never had experience with the Hubba, but from forums, it seems like that its a great tent in terms of weather resistance.  Plus, it also has a side entry point.. and of course, when buying from REI, you do have great customer service on your side.

My vote would probably be for the Hubba.  It seems as though others have really raved about this tent.  Plus.. 209 is not that much more from 182!

Found this review of the Hubba for bicycle touring: http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/review-msr-hubba-1-person-tent/

7:13 p.m. on August 24, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

Hubba.... who came up with that name?!

10:25 p.m. on August 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,835 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

Switch to a hammock. Leave ground dwelling behind!

8:48 a.m. on August 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
414 forum posts

I opted to go with the Hubba primarily for gear storage reasons. The other two options I mentioned didn't seem to do as well in that area.  I wanted some place to hide my boots and stuff from the rain on non-Baxter trips where I don't have a nice LT to hide out in.

Trailjester said:

Hubba.... who came up with that name?!

The 2 person version is the Hubba Hubba so if you go alone you just get Hubba ;)

4:58 p.m. on August 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Nice choice!  Can't wait to see the gear review!

5:11 p.m. on August 25, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
185 forum posts

If yer interested in a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2----I'd make a trade for a Hubba....

7:16 p.m. on August 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
414 forum posts

kevinumberger said:

If yer interested in a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2----I'd make a trade for a Hubba....

I looked at them of course but the weight savings wasn't worth the money to me.  Not that impressed by the reviews I've read either with durability and moisture issues coming up too frequently so I think I'll stick with the tent I don't have yet rather than trade for what's behind the curtain ;)

9:47 p.m. on August 25, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
185 forum posts

That's fair...

I figure is just throw it out there....

I think you'll enjoy the hubba...

I have a hubba hubba and really enjoy it....

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply