LOWA Boot Size

12:34 p.m. on September 24, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

So I'm thinking about ordering +.5 (US Men) on boot size for my next pair of boots, this will be my first pair of LOWA boots. Narrow foot, high arch, I'm accustomed to green and orange SuperFeet insoles. I typically wear merino light hiker socks. I'm normally 9.5 to 10, thinking about ordering 10.5.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

2:04 p.m. on September 24, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Generally, it's usually a good idea to wear boots that are about half a size larger. That allows room so that your toes don't slam forward into the toe box on downhills, and it allows room for an extra pair of socks in cooler temperatures. 

But I do mean 'generally'. The lasts (forms) that shoes are made on vary widely between brands, and fit and sizing also vary. If you're not familiar with the lasts that Lowa uses, you're just asking for trouble by buying a pair without trying them on. 

5:36 p.m. on September 24, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Unfortunately, no one stocks decent boots in my area. I'm hoping I can get the right size the first time I have them shipped. Apparently all of the German and Italian made LOWA boots are on a different platform than what I've managed to find to try on. 

8:00 p.m. on September 24, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

LOL

Then don't wear them outside until you're sure they fit properly, and check the return policy of the supplier. 

I've bought boots online, but I know the manufacturer and the lasts they use. And I was still taking a huge risk. 

5:31 p.m. on September 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I bought a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX Mids about two years ago. Based on the comments I read on the REI site, I ordered 1/2 size larger and the fit is perfect. I can wear a mid-weight wool sock with them and don't feel constricted, either.

I've done numerous day hikes with the Lowas here in New Mexico, in the mountains and desert, as well as a couple of short backpacking trips and they are holding up very well -- no major wear and tear and nothing coming apart.

In fact, I liked them so much, I bought a second pair for backup and to wear around town in the winter. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had on my feet.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply