About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

JanSport Pack ID?

10:38 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Can anyone help me identify the model no of this JanSport pack? It was the pack I used as a teenager and was probably bought around '79.

I seem to recall that when I bought it I was told it was slightly smaller than the 'standard model', so I'm guessing it is not a D3.

JanSportPack.jpg

JanSportFrame.jpg

11:04 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

The pack is a Cascade.  Similar to a D3, but slightly smaller capacity and the hip belt does not have the metal wings on the side.  The Cascade came in two sizes, the Cascade I and II with the II being for smaller people.  Similar sizing to the D3 and D5.  I'll post the specs if I can find my catalog, though it might be next week before I get to it.

11:10 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

I just remembered Warren has an old catalog of mine on his web site.

The cascades are in the third row, second from the right.

http://www.inov8.au.com/compass/jansportimages.html

12:33 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks!

In the catalog you linked to it looks like the Cascades have a single large center opening.  Were there some models/years that had two separate openings?

I notice that the McKinley on the previous page does have two openings although the top brace is not curved like my pack.

9:47 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

It may have been a later design change.  Also, the smaller version may have had one compartment and the larger may have had two. 

10:52 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
328 forum posts

I have that one...used it from the late '70s until 2003.

8:32 p.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

That's cool!

I've been looking at some of my old gear after getting it out of storage a while back. Brings back memories.

10:07 a.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I'm trying to get it repaired in time for a short 'retro pack' trip with my brothers.  It's hard to see from the pictures but part of the webbing on the hip belt is missing.

I carry half the pack weight now compared to when I was a teenager so it might even be reasonably comfortable.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply