JanSport Pack ID?

10:38 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Can anyone help me identify the model no of this JanSport pack? It was the pack I used as a teenager and was probably bought around '79.

I seem to recall that when I bought it I was told it was slightly smaller than the 'standard model', so I'm guessing it is not a D3.

JanSportPack.jpg

JanSportFrame.jpg

11:04 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The pack is a Cascade.  Similar to a D3, but slightly smaller capacity and the hip belt does not have the metal wings on the side.  The Cascade came in two sizes, the Cascade I and II with the II being for smaller people.  Similar sizing to the D3 and D5.  I'll post the specs if I can find my catalog, though it might be next week before I get to it.

11:10 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I just remembered Warren has an old catalog of mine on his web site.

The cascades are in the third row, second from the right.

http://www.inov8.au.com/compass/jansportimages.html

12:33 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks!

In the catalog you linked to it looks like the Cascades have a single large center opening.  Were there some models/years that had two separate openings?

I notice that the McKinley on the previous page does have two openings although the top brace is not curved like my pack.

9:47 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

It may have been a later design change.  Also, the smaller version may have had one compartment and the larger may have had two. 

10:52 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

I have that one...used it from the late '70s until 2003.

8:32 p.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's cool!

I've been looking at some of my old gear after getting it out of storage a while back. Brings back memories.

10:07 a.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I'm trying to get it repaired in time for a short 'retro pack' trip with my brothers.  It's hard to see from the pictures but part of the webbing on the hip belt is missing.

I carry half the pack weight now compared to when I was a teenager so it might even be reasonably comfortable.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply