Buy your gear through Trailspace

11:25 a.m. on October 21, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Hi everyone. I think that we all should think about Trailspace when purchasing gear. It is very easy to help this website that is so helpful to us all by simply looking up the item you'd like to purchase on Trailspace, then going to the bottom of the page and purchasing the gear through one of the links in the "Where to Buy" section, where Trailspace has already generated some of the lowest prices available for us.

Example:

Where to Buy sort by: store | price sponsored links

$34.95 See Store
sunnysports.gif
$35.00 See Store
rei.gif
$35.00 See Store
moosejaw.gif
$35.00 See Store
rockcreek.gif
$35.00 See Store
mountaingear.gif
$35.00 See Store

Help support Trailspace by making your next purchase through one of the links above.

Christmas is coming up, so don't forget to tell your family and friends as well!

***For clarification, no one put me up to this post, I just think it is something that we all should try to do when possible.***

5:01 p.m. on October 21, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,230 forum posts

Sounds cool.  I'm kind of a Luddite I guess, how does it help TS by clicking from here?

7:57 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Sage, the retailers listed in Where To Buy pay to be listed there. In some cases, Trailspace gets paid by the click; in others, we receive a small commission on purchases made by people who clicked through those links.

By using the Where To Buy listings when you're shopping for gear, not only can you can find good deals, but you also help us pay the bills to keep Trailspace operating as a free service.

Thanks for highlighting this, Ashleigh!

11:30 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,230 forum posts

Thanks for the explanation.  I must start doing this. 

12:06 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Sage, the retailers listed in Where To Buy pay to be listed there. In some cases, Trailspace gets paid by the click; in others, we receive a small commission on purchases made by people who clicked through those links.

By using the Where To Buy listings when you're shopping for gear, not only can you can find good deals, but you also help us pay the bills to keep Trailspace operating as a free service.

Thanks for highlighting this, Ashley!

There is also a way to to link to Amazon that earns you a tiny commission if the buyer "clicks through" the website to get to Amazon to buy a product.

Trailspace may want to look into that too.

1:20 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Thanks guys.

We've done a little bit with Amazon links in the past, but we prefer to support companies within the outdoor industry. So for the most part the stores you see listed on Trailspace will be specialty retailers who are really committed to the outdoors.

3:20 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
777 forum posts

Good info to know!

3:35 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Thanks guys.

We've done a little bit with Amazon links in the past, but we prefer to support companies within the outdoor industry. So for the most part the stores you see listed on Trailspace will be specialty retailers who are really committed to the outdoors.

Just curious, but since many outdoor companies actually use Amazon as a portal, then why not also list Amazon?

If you look at items on Amazon it will say something like SOLD BY "xxxxx" and FULLFILLED BY Amazon

Or it will say SOLD BY "xxxxx"

So in many cases the companies simply use Amazon as a way to extend their presence on the internet.

10:35 a.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Without getting too deep into the complicated dynamics of speciality retail vs. Amazon, I'll just say that both Trailspace and the specialty retailer get paid significantly less when people buy through Amazon instead of directly from the retailer.

We used to link to Amazon for some products that aren't carried by any of our outdoor retailer partners. However, a recent tax law change here in Maine means that we're no longer able to work with Amazon anyway. (Long story short: Amazon doesn't want to pay sales tax in Maine, so they cut ties with all Maine-based affiliates, including Trailspace.)

3:46 p.m. on November 3, 2013 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I was wondering about items that you have no link for, say some of the small equipment makers and other stuff that companies like REI an Mountain Gear don't carry. 

Would it be OK/Possible to link the maker of this gear?  Or possibly add a "Manufactures Link" to gear reviews?  I am not trying to take business away from companies that TrailSpace has a relationship with, but to be able to get more information on a product or a link to a place that can direct you to retailers for that product.   Like I said this would mostly be for the small gear makes that direct sell. 

Any thoughts?

Wolfman

PS:  Actually a "Manufactures Link" for all gear reviews would be great place to get additional information on the product.

8:20 a.m. on November 5, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

We do have a field in the database for including a link to the manufacturer's page, although it doesn't always get filled in. See, for example, the description and link at the bottom of this page: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/duluth/3-original-duluth-pack/

We'd definitely like to have more complete info and manufacturer links for all products, but it's a huge data entry task. A couple years ago we made a big push to get more of this sort of info onto the site; unfortunately the manpower required to do so turned out to be cost-prohibitive.

10:47 p.m. on November 5, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

just did it! worked fine. 

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply