Exped SynMat 9 vs. Big Agnes Q-Core

2:37 p.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

My 14 year old Kelty Zion 2 has served me well but has seen some better days so I bought myself a new car camping tent (Sierra Designs Zia 3) and I want a new comfy mattress to go with it.  I am looking at either the Exped SynMat 9 or the Big Agnes Q-Core.  The long and wide versions.  I will NOT be packing the tent or the air mattress.  It will mostly be used for car camping and base camp for long hunting trips where I hunt out of camp.  I have the lightweight gear I need for backcountry trips out of base camp.  

I would like to hear opinions on which sleeping pad to get and why.  I am also open to other suggestions.  My first trip with the sleeping pad will be in a couple weeks in the cold.  Night temps will get around 10 degrees.  That is the main reason I am looking at these two options is because of the insulating properties.  

Thanks for any input!!

5:38 p.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

No experience with either but the given R values are R5 for the BigAgnes and R6 for the Exped.

Exped suggests F-13 as the minimum temp for R6 and 1.4F for their R4.9 mat.

7:55 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
313 forum posts
10:22 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Thanks Franco and Ashleigh.  Good review Ashleigh.  I have read all the reviews on both mats/pads.  They seem to get equally good reviews.  I am leaning toward the Exped because a couple of the reviews I've read say it is a bit more heavy duty and also doesn't have a protruding air valve.  Since weight is a non-issue I am thinking the more heavy duty the better.  

10:51 a.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
313 forum posts

Thanks, Jason. Make sure that you read about the warranty on each. I know that Big A's is lifetime. I know that Exped only has a two year warranty on their UL pads, but I am not sure about the non-UL.

3:38 p.m. on October 23, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

The standard (non UL) Exped SynMat 9 comes with a lifetime warranty.  I went with the Exped due to it being a bit more heavy duty, non-protruding air valve(s) and the built in pump.  I like the idea of not having to blow up the pad with moist air from my lungs.  I would think that may affect the insulating properties.  Now I can't wait to try this thing out in a couple weeks.  

9:58 p.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
313 forum posts

Jason,

I hope you enjoy your pad! Pleae let us all know what you think of your new Exped once you have tested it.

I do like Exped pads. I wanted to buy one of the UL pads, but that two year warranty made me decide not to buy one.

4:34 p.m. on November 4, 2013 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

My new Sierra Designs tent didn't show up in the mail yet.  Bummed about that.  I guess the old Kelty will have to survive one more trip.  I did get the Exped pad though.  Tested and tried the pad out at home last night.  It is very comfortable.  I like how wide it is.   We will see how well it works in freezing temps tomorrow night.  

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply