Continuous filament synthetic insulation jackets

12:15 p.m. on November 9, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I have been searching the past several days for ANY jacket that uses continuous filament synthetic insulation. I have only found the merrel quentin jacket. It uses primaloft synergy.

Continuous filament insulations include primaloft synergy, primaloft infinity, climashield, and polarguard. 

Does anyone know of ANY other jacket that uses continuous filament insulation? It is the only kind of insulation that holds up to real life useage for more than one season. All other short staple synthetic insulation has lost most of its loft on me.

1:44 p.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

i think you will find that LL Bean, Cabela's, and Helly Hanson make jackets using primaloft infinity, and that the Patagonia Das parka uses primaloft synergy. 

fully respect your opinion, but i think it is an open question whether continuous filament synthetic fill is any better or worse than other kinds of synthetic fill.  there are a lot of high quality synthetic fill jackets using primaloft one - the patagonia nano puff, rab generator, black diamond stance - and i think people using those would disagree with your assessment of the quality of the insulation.  same for people who like the arcteryx atom, a very popular light synthetic fill insulating jacket, which uses a proprietary synthetic insulation, coreloft, that is crimped - so short staple, like primaloft one.   

i have used patagonia's micro puff pants for a number of years, and they still loft pretty much as well as they always have - with primaloft one.  (patagonia now calls them the Das pants - intriguing that the Das jacket uses a primaloft synergy and the Das pants use primaloft one). 

i have also used sleeping bags made from polarguard and primaloft one, and i couldn't tell the difference, even after a number of years of use. 

3:08 p.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts
3:11 p.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

for some in-depth discussion about insulating properties of different jackets, fills, etc., it's worth taking a look at Coldthistle, a blog run by a guy who does a lot of ice climbing.  he has gone into great detail about different kinds of synthetic fills, as well as different down-filled jackets.  he's perpetually in search of the perfect insulated jacket, among other things.  it is a really well-done blog. 

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/

9:41 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I actually did read a lot of coldthistle, it is good stuff huh? He goes in depth very scientifically about insulation which I like. I have a primaloft one jacket from north face that is nowhere near as warm as it was when I bought it just over a year ago. I live outside and wear this stuff everyday through very rugged conditions, so that could be the difference in our experiences. I have also read a lot of complaints from other people about primaloft one losing like 30% of its warmth in the first year of use.

I had looked through all of eddie bauers stuff and only found primaloft one. I was considering the das jacket from patagonia, but decided on something cheaper. I found a black diamond jacket that uses infinity and a spyder jacket that uses 100g infinity insulation for only $100 so I think that is what I will be reaching for. Thanks for the help guys!

Also if anyone is curious mountain hardwear's new thermal-q insulation is rated just a tad lower than primaloft one but is constructed using a hybrid of continuous and short staple fibers--much like synergy, but its clo/oz is much higher than synergy.

11:25 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

@Kyle - for the most part, i'm moving at a pretty good clip when i am out, so the puffy layers are morning/evening, otherwise squashed in a backpack and occasionally worn during a longer-than-normal stop.

while i like the synthetic fill pants, which i use because a crampon-induced tear won't be nearly as troublesome, i mostly prefer down.  well cared-for, i think down is much more durable. 

9:34 p.m. on November 15, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I wish I could wear down, I just have too much trouble with moisture. In the winter I use a down sleeping bag, but other than that I tend to prefer synthetic.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply