Difference between climashield apex and climashield prism

11:37 p.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

First off I want to say thanks for all the information and help I have received from you guys the past couple weeks.

On climashield's site they imply that prism has some sort of water repellant treatment? I notice north face combines apex and prism in their bags and was wondering what the benefit of either was.

REI mentions something about prism working well even when compressed.

anyone have anymore information on this?

7:23 a.m. on November 28, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

Not particular to climashield. A lot of companies now sell down jackets with the down treated to make it more water-repellant. From general outdoors places like ll bean to fairly specialized vendors like RAB, Mountain Hardwear, Kelty. I don't fully understand how it works but read something about nano-technology being used to on one hand treat insulation without compromising its insulating properties, and on the other making the insulation less water-absorbent. I assume that the same treatment would work on synthetic insulation too.

Having experienced wet down and wet synthetic insulation (polar guard in particular on one trip a long time ago), I can say from experience that neither worked very well when wet. So if these treatments work, I would think that is a pretty interesting development. Makes me wonder how these treatments affect the insulation long-term.

And what impact tiny nano-particles might have on the environment.

12:02 p.m. on November 28, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

honestly i don't trust the treatments for long term durability yet. The technology just hasn't been established long enough. I had also read something about prism being a denser fill providing high insulation even when compressed.

I have a kelty 0 degree down bag and when that sucker gets wet (given that its only 550 fill), I am SCREWED, so I was seeking a snythetic 0 bag. I have seen the specs on some of the nicer continuous fill synthetics and they will still retain 60-80% of their insulating capabilities when wet. Down seems to be about 25% but obviously that is subjective.

I did end up getting the eddie bauer igniter 0 bag, it weighs about 3.5 pounds and almost all that weight is the fill. They used some top quality materials, no draft collar, tight fit around the shoulders (good for weight and getting rid of dead air space), no extra features, to keep other weight factors minimal.

12:32 p.m. on November 28, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

First Ascent makes quality gear, usually at an appealing price.  their Peak XV down jacket has become my go-to warm layer for trips in the winter. 

9:51 a.m. on November 29, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

yeah im am excited to try it out. it was on sale $85 off and free shipping!

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply