got balm?

6:39 p.m. on December 11, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

lip &/or hand balm-- yes, it counts as gear!

a question best suited for males...

*what brand are you using?

*tin or tube? (why or why not)?

*ingredients you look for?

* varieties you'd like to see?

* anything else?

thanks!

7:18 p.m. on December 11, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

All i ever use is herbal armor lip balm, and my husky used mushers secret on her paws in winter. Other than that i never need it anywhere else. I found a kilt to be the answer to my problems in warmer weather and exfoccio boxer briefs for any other time.

10:35 a.m. on December 12, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Burts Bees in a tube, always. I don't get out in the winter enough to have given much thought to hand balm other than a tiny bottle of hand lotion. 

11:04 a.m. on December 12, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

I tend to favour Burt's Bees also; the mentholated version seems to feel better. For long Arctic canoe trips when the sun is beating down on me 24 hours a day and reflecting off the water, I use Dermatone Skin Protection in a small can with SPF 23. I spread it all over my face and lips. It doesn't taste very good but it seems to work fine. In a pintch I have used it to spead fire starting by smearing it on some tinder.

11:10 a.m. on December 12, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

For winter, I like a thick, waxy high SPF with titanium dioxide for face and lips. Badger Balm and Patagonia make sticks of this stuff.  It needs to be warmed prior to application, but can't be beat. For hands, I like Burts Beers or the small bottles of lotion I seem to steal from hotel rooms by instinct!

12:28 p.m. on December 12, 2013 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Blistex medicated for my lips.  It is one of the first things I throw in my pack for any trip.  I usually carry a spare in my first aid kit as well just in case.  Neutrogena Hand Cream for my hands.  Great stuff.  

7:00 p.m. on December 12, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

So... whats with all the hand cream and balms? I have never once wished i had some along...much less ever have the desire to use it in my life. lips and the nether regions i get, even feet... but hands?

7:10 a.m. on December 13, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

TheRambler said:

So... whats with all the hand cream and balms? I have never once wished i had some along...much less ever have the desire to use it in my life. lips and the nether regions i get, even feet... but hands?

I think it depends a lot on where you are going.  Out west dry air was an issue and I usually brought some lotion along just to keep my skin on. Here in the east being dry has not been an issue heh.

7:13 a.m. on December 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

Yeah I do lots of traversing of the Northeast, mainly in winter, though in every season to an extent, but I have never seen a need. Maybe I am just a freak of nature, who knows =P

2:26 p.m. on December 13, 2013 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

I found this stuff called Climb On, Its an excellent chunk of wax in a tin. All natural, and edible! Great for dry, splitting hands (especially this time of year)!

6:42 p.m. on December 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

perfect, kids, thanks!

final question:

in this capacity,

what would you like to see on the market that isn't?

11:35 p.m. on December 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

Seems like there are about a million varieties with everything from synthetic to natural ingredients. So.... i would say, nothing?

8:47 p.m. on December 16, 2013 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Bag Balm works better than anything else I have tried.

balm-2.jpg

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply