Screen Protector Enquiry

10:36 a.m. on January 6, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what screen protectors you were using for your phone or camera?

I'm looking into buying one but I wanted to get one that'll last and has been tested in the outdoors eg walking and climbing.

ThanksĀ 

Oliver

10:51 a.m. on January 6, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

I just use one from the phone's manufacturer. Problem with it is that it makes the already hard to see in direct bright sunlight even harder to see. It does seem to protect against scratches ok, and it isn't too hard to clean the screen. The direct sunlight problem isn't peculiar to the brand I have - I see it on every brand A to Z. Since there is a technology for color screens that works in sunlight (used in a lot of the GPS receivers and even MP3 players from the same cell phone makers), I don't understand why the cell phones are so poor in that regard.

Be aware that the screens on smartphones seem to be pretty fragile to drops on hard ground. I have seen a lot of phones with cracked screens in local bouldering and sport areas around here - again all brands, though iPhones seem more fragile to drops (maybe because iThings are the most popular here near Apple HQ). Screen protectors don't help with drops.

7:04 p.m. on January 6, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

My work phone is an iPhone and I use an otter case on it..

Have dropped it numerous times and in different positions on various surfaces and not a crack in screen...

8:35 p.m. on January 6, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

Oliver,

Otter cases are a whole different animal than screen protectors. I should have asked what you want in a screen protector - protection against scratches and other similar damage (including better "greasy finger" repellancy), one of the vision limiter that makes it so you and only you can see what's on the screen (also called "privacy screens" - they limit the angular field of view to pretty much straight on), or are you asking about impact protection for accidental drops? If the latter, there are really only two companies making quality protection for impacts, plus a few companies making waterproof containers (some allowing operation of the touch screen), and those are Otter as Kevin mentioned and Pelican (same people as make the "bombproof" camera cases). I have a Pelican for my iPad, but have just been risking it with my Galaxy S3 (I do try to take precautions against dropping it - so far so good).

My answer to you above was assuming you meant the stick-on transparent protectors that basically just protect against scratches and make it a bit easier to clean. They are pretty cheap (couple dollars for a pack of 3 or 4), but really offer no impact protection.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply