Anyone wearing Arc'teryx?

8:34 p.m. on January 25, 2014 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

I'm looking for a jacket that is not too heavy, but still has some insulation. Something I can use alone, or as a layer.

Came upon Arc'teryx Aphix.

My question is this, is Arc'teryx actually used by people who wander off into the woods or is it a fashion accessory? I ask because it seems to be favored by folks in the wealthy suburbs of Chicago and somehow I don't see the manicured and pampered folk out on overnight hikes.

Is Arc'teryx worth the money? Looks to be well made, the Aphix looks like what I want but there are no reviews here on Trailspace.

Any insight?

9:43 p.m. on January 25, 2014 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,227 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

A while back I purchased the Epsilon AR jacket, and I thought I was crazy spending the amount of $ that I did (about $200). I do take care of my gear, but I am kind of hard on what I use. I have had that mid-layer for about three years, and it is still in excellent shape. It is still free of snags, and is in near perfect condition. It is one of the best pieces of layering I own. I can't specifically speak about the gear you are looking to purchase. 

I remember reading about how Arc'teryx does not use recycled material, believing that it doesn't bring top-knotch quality. I have never heard of any company claiming such a stake. Regardless, I love the jacket I bought. I have since bought a Polartec fleece 'Cousin Eddie' hat from Arc'teryx called the Hyllus, and really like it so far... 

I have been searching for about two years for a large replacement pack, and managed to find an Altra 85L to put my hands on. I am sold on it for long excursions, (but am unfortunately still saving up) but haven't gotten it yet. Top of the range!

My only recommendation, go somewhere you can check it out in person, or go with a company that'll take returns. I don't think you will be let down. I am afraid, however that I would tear the exterior to ribbons... brambles and briars are close friends of mine when I hike!

10:02 p.m. on January 25, 2014 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

Either buy one Arcteryx GTX Proshell jacket and use it for 8 years near continuously or buy 3 different brands in the same length of time.  Once-and-done or never-satisfied? I think it's cheaper to go once and done, in the long run.

TRIP%20120%20074-M.jpg

The old faithful Arcteryx proshell.  Going strong with no pinholes.

8:58 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Thanks, sounds like its a good value. That was my concern. I have no problem spending money if something is actually worth the price. Sounds like this stuff is worth the prices they ask.

10:51 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

It's outlandishly expensive, my jacket.  But like a Hilleberg tent, it's in my Circle of Trust as it's been tested in tough conditions.  I always pack both.

5:04 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

Arc'teryx is top-notch stuff. Would love to have one of their rain jackets (one day!)but am supremely happy with both pairs of my RHO long underwear tops. They are waaay better than the Capilenes I wore for several years prior.

5:40 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

I found one of their fleece jackets on a very good sale about 10 years ago. That thing is the warmest weave and has held up amazingly well. It is very skillfully put together.

7:45 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I have a bunch of Arcteryx clothing. Although not made in Canada any longer, I can't discern any difference in build quality. However, they are outrageously priced. Wait for sales and never pay full price.

8:13 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

I get a good "feeling" from the Arcteryx brand, but brands pay a lot of money to qualified public relations consultants to create good feelings like mine! Most brands experience variations in quality by category, e.g. Brand X makes great fleece but poor shells. I'd put a lot of stock in Tipi's opinion, because he seems to spend more time in the backcountry than most folks I know.  For a broad, objective review of the brand as a whole, and of the specific products you're interested in, check out the reviews: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/arcteryx/

8:21 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

For a broad, objective review of the brand as a whole, and of the specific products you're interested in, check out the reviews: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/arcteryx/

I did check for reviews, but there was no review of the item I am looking at buying, which I mentioned in the original post in this thread. Had there been a review of the item this thread would not exist.

3:18 a.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

Ah Family Guy I think your wrong of them not being made in Canada..Recheck that one..

1:59 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

Arcteryx used to manufacture everything in Canada and maintains a substantial manufacturing facility there.  However, they also manufacture overseas now. 

http://arcteryx.com/manufacturing.aspx?language=EN

I have heard but not confirmed that some of the high end Arcteryx products (like their Alpha SV jacket) are still manufactured in Canada. 

This isn't uncommon.  Gregory used to make all its backpacks in the US but eventually shifted most manufacturing overseas as well.  Notably, though, a few Gregory products are still made in the USA.  the Denali Pro backpack, their big expedition pack, has always been made in the US. 

9:01 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
1,348 reviewer rep
630 forum posts

Ahhh the great Arcteryx debate!

Most of their products are no longer made in Canada, I believe only their flagship lines are made here anymore- Alpha jackets, my Arrakis pack is and climbing harnesses.

In fact they are no longer even Canadian owned. Originally sold in 2001, then again in 2005 (?) to the Amer company. Same company that owns Saloman, Suunto, Wilson! atomic, among others. This is certainly no longer the dedicated "hardcore" outdoor brand it once was.

With all that bashing the quality is still high. In my avatar I have on my arcteryx alpha shell, still going strong after 3 years.

As far as your OP, this is one there are MANY other options the provide equal or better value. If I were you I'd be spending the money on a Wild Things Insulight. I reviewed mine for the review corps here and you can custom design the exact jacket you want, and are describing. I love mine so much in fact that I will be ordering another with different uses in mind.

6:39 a.m. on January 29, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

I have an Alpha SL Hybrid and despite the high sticker price, it's a great shell that repels damn near everything.

11:04 a.m. on January 29, 2014 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Does it matter if it is actually made in Canada or Cambodia or China or India or anywhere else as long as the quality control is still properly maintained? I suppose from the 'nationalist' standpoint I'd prefer anything I buy be American made, but the reality is that very few things are made here and the brand was never made here so I really don't care in what nation it was made, I care that it is a quality piece if I decide to buy it.

As far as your OP, this is one there are MANY other options the provide equal or better value. If I were you I'd be spending the money on a Wild Things Insulight. I reviewed mine for the review corps here and you can custom design the exact jacket you want, and are describing. I love mine so much in fact that I will be ordering another with different uses in mind.

I appreciate the lead to Wild Things Insulight and looked at your review as well as their website.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/wild-things/custom-insulight-jacket/review/27088/

I noticed a few things. First the price of the Wild Things is the same price of the Arc'teryx Aphix so I'm not sure it is a better value. Second, in your review you stated that the Wild Things jacket didn't have an sort of an insulation barrier behind the zipper. I consider that a flaw that does not exist in the Aphix jacket. Third, you commented that the jacket from Wild Things is too short, and the Aphix appears to have a longer body, which I find to be a desired feature. On the plus side, I like the front/exterior chest pocket on the Wild Thing.

Not saying the Wild Things Insulight is a bad jacket, clearly your review is mostly a positive review but I'm not sure that it is a jacket that would meet my desires.

11:20 a.m. on January 29, 2014 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

I may have a lexan spoon made in Oklahoma by a community of Hindus whose parents came from India.  Hmmm . . . .  . 

11:14 a.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

denis daly said:

Ah Family Guy I think your wrong of them not being made in Canada..Recheck that one..

Pretty sure the majority of clothing is now being made in China.  As indicated above, some of the lines appear to be still made in Canada.

I have both garments made in Canada and made in China.  I can't see a difference in quality.

All of their packs are now made in China - I can definitely see a difference in quality.

If someone is adament on buying a Canadian made garment that is of very high quality, one should consider Westcomb, which was started several years ago by ex-Arcteryx employees.

7:17 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

Family Guy said:

denis daly said:

Pretty sure the majority of clothing is now being made in China.  As indicated above, some of the lines appear to be still made in Canada.

I have both garments made in Canada and made in China.  I can't see a difference in quality.

All of their packs are now made in China - I can definitely see a difference in quality.

If someone is adament on buying a Canadian made garment that is of very high quality, one should consider Westcomb, which was started several years ago by ex-Arcteryx employees.

RIck Horwat and I had a 30 min discussion about this thread a few nights ago..He had said he was surprised no one had brought up Westcomb.

8:28 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Say 'Hi' to Rick for me (and I am sure others!).

8:47 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
1,348 reviewer rep
630 forum posts

Does it matter if it is actually made in Canada or Cambodia or China or India or anywhere else as long as the quality control is still properly maintained? I suppose from the 'nationalist' standpoint I'd prefer anything I buy be American made, but the reality is that very few things are made here and the brand was never made here so I really don't care in what nation it was made, I care that it is a quality piece if I decide to buy it.

I appreciate the lead to Wild Things Insulight and looked at your review as well as their website.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/wild-things/custom-insulight-jacket/review/27088/

I noticed a few things. First the price of the Wild Things is the same price of the Arc'teryx Aphix so I'm not sure it is a better value. Second, in your review you stated that the Wild Things jacket didn't have an sort of an insulation barrier behind the zipper. I consider that a flaw that does not exist in the Aphix jacket. Third, you commented that the jacket from Wild Things is too short, and the Aphix appears to have a longer body, which I find to be a desired feature. On the plus side, I like the front/exterior chest pocket on the Wild Thing.

Not saying the Wild Things Insulight is a bad jacket, clearly your review is mostly a positive review but I'm not sure that it is a jacket that would meet my desires.

Melensdad- all valid points regarding the insulight. There are however positives to the WT that the arcteryx doesn't have, that are, IMO, more important than those negatives you listed.

1) more insulation, and better quality. 113 grams of primaloft one, the best synthetic made, to arcteryxs 80 grams of coreloft. 2) better side stretch panels and options 3) mine has an, for all intents and purposes, waterproof shell, not just a dwr thats gonna wear off

Those three things alone make up far better value than the minor quibbles I have with it.

8:48 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
1,348 reviewer rep
630 forum posts

That said I just saw the aphix on sale for 140 which is a pretty darn good steal!.....

https://www.liveoutthere.com/arcteryx-mens-aphix-hoody.html

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply