Sawyer Questions

7:10 a.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

I know Sawyer has become ubiquitous and since so many of you have at least one of their filters I'm hoping someone could answer a couple of questions I still have after researching elsewhere and reading reviews here.

I want to be able to filter directly into my (Platy) water bladders via their threaded opening, not via the drink tube.  From what I'm seeing online I can't tell if the filter comes with a threaded adapter, I need to buy one of the many adapter thingies they sell, or if I need to make my own.

Not sure if it matters, but let me know which filter version you're talking about if it makes a difference.  TIA for the help!

11:11 a.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

I think you would need to use the sawyer "squeeze" filter to do that? I only have the sawyer .02 and the sawyer mini...and neither have a threaded outflow. For a hands-free gravity set-up I use the hose from the platypus drink-tube-kit and cut off the drink-valve...but I bought the platypus "hoser" which is the drink-tube-kit plus a platy-bottle...because it cost about a dollar more than the stand-alone drink-tube-kit.

12:38 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
99 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

The outlet of the Sawyer Squeeze filter is a male threaded fitting, as is the fitting on my Platypus collapsible water bottles (my Platypus bladder is the zip-top version).

So, you need a female-female threaded coupler to join the filter and the collapsible water container. I found a recommendation online for a 'Tornado Tube' coupler, which is a female-female coupler designed to join two soft drink bottles together.

I found 'Tornado Tubes' at my local science education store , and they are also available on eBay.

I looked on the Sawyer website but didn't see a similar adapter there.

3:21 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

JohnAbercrombie said:

The outlet of the Sawyer Squeeze filter is a male threaded fitting, as is the fitting on my Platypus collapsible water bottles (my Platypus bladder is the zip-top version).

So, you need a female-female threaded coupler to join the filter and the collapsible water container. I found a recommendation online for a 'Tornado Tube' coupler, which is a female-female coupler designed to join two soft drink bottles together.

I found 'Tornado Tubes' at my local science education store , and they are also available on eBay.

I looked on the Sawyer website but didn't see a similar adapter there.

Perfect, that is just the info I was looking for.  Well actually more since I'd have just been happy with the female/female adapter knowledge.  I'll see if I can't find something at the plumber supply otherwise order one of those tornado thingies online assuming I end up getting the filter.

4:37 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

What you need is whats called a tornado tube, this will allow you to acomplish what you describe with a sawyer squeeze.

You may need to use some garden hose washers to get a good seal to prevent leaks in some situations. They also serve as replacement washers for the squeeze should you ever need one.

8:13 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

To echo what others are saying, a Tornado Tube is the answer.  I bought one from Amazon and it works G.R.E.A.T.  Different models of the Tornado Tube are known to perform differently (some, apparently, don't work very well).  Since I got lucky with mine, let me know if you're interested and I'll post which one is my working model.

I've also heard that the garden hose washer-add-on does work (to echo TheRambler). My model did not need that to create a good seal.

8:31 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

I just looked it up in my Amazon account. Here's the link for the coupler that worked:

http://amzn.com/B000NNLY5O

Good luck, and Happy Adventures!

2:50 a.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
99 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Thanks for the tip about the washers - I'll throw a couple in with my filter.

(I'm not an UL backpacker, so I can handle the extra weight! ;-) )

7:09 a.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Thanks for all the input folks.  I went ahead and ordered the filter yesterday so I'll have some time to get the fitting squared away.  Hate to spend twice as much on shipping as product so I'm hoping to find something locally but the fact that everyone seems to be using the tornado thingy tells me I may not find anything better.

Depending on the connector and what I end up using for a squeeze bag swapping out my filter will drop a nice chunk of weight.  Not enough to balance out a second juicebox of wine, but close enough ;)

10:08 a.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

Just a tech tip for the sawyer squeeze Lonestranger.

If the filter completely dries out it can be near impossible to get it to filter water, it just wont pass through the filter no matter how much force is applied. This generally occurs after the filter has been used to filter water and having been only backflushed with clean water after a trip. Its something to do with mineral deposits in the water as far as I can tell. My best guess is it takes a few weeks to a month or so if not longer for this to take place.

Anyway, the fix is simple. Try to filter a liter of water like normal a few days before a trip. If you have issues then let the filter soak in a warm water solution-a warm water and vinegar solution works even better. After soaking for a few hours backflush the filter with the same solution. You should be back in business at this point.

My routine is to backflush my filter with a warm water and vinegar solution forcefully several times after i get home from a trip. I very rarely have to soak my filter anymore prior to a trip.

Another tip is to have something to scoop water with, as the squeeze bags it comes with work fine for squeezing but can be tedious to fill if its a shallow water source. I just use my 700ml camp mug as a scoop and filter through a bandana if its floaty rich just to prevent it from getting in the filter needlessly.

Those are the only flaws I have identified with my sawyer squeeze

10:14 a.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

Oh, I forgot to say that if your so inclined you can make your own tornado tube with 2 2 liter soda bottles, or really most any bottle caps of the right threading.

Use an xacto knife etc and cut the top of the bottle cap open/off. Sand gently to smooth it out, then use some bonding cemet or epoxy to connect them together.

I made one myself because i refused to pay the $15 or whatever it was online at the time for a tornado tube +shipping. Works just fine and I have had no need to buy a "real one".

11:54 a.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

That's some useful info there Rambler, thanks. 

4:21 p.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Yep - very useful info.

Thanks

11:02 a.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Now that I have filter in hand I have another question for those of you who have experience with the Sawyer Mini.  Does the mouthpiece on the outflow really screw off? 

I've applied reasonable pressure to no effect and I'm hesitant to get unreasonable with it as I have a life long habit of tearing things apart with my bare hands without really trying.

11:25 a.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I have the mini LoneStranger and nothing screws off the outlet portion that filter.  Only the bag screws on/off the inflow/inlet portion.  Hope that helps.  

There is a cap that pops off/on the outlet portion of the filter though.  

12:21 p.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Ah so previous conversation must have applied to the full sized model only heh.  The straw extension fits on the outflow so I guess I'll fit that into a screw cap for filling bags.

Thanks for clearing that up before I destroyed it Jason :)

4:23 p.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Yep...only applies to the Squeeze Lonestranger:-)

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply