Easton Mountain Products Kilo 2

3:39 p.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I just picked up an Easton Mountain Products Kilo 2 tent for a Grand Canyon trip in April.  Got it for $148.  60% off retail.  I wasn't able to find a review for it here but it has very mixed reviews on other sites.  People either love it or hate it.  I figure for that price it's worth a try.  Trail weight is 2 lb 3 oz.  It should accommodate my 10-yr old son and I pretty well.  If I end up not liking it I will just send it back to the retailer I got it from.  They have a hassle free return policy.   Can't wait to try it out though.  

1:42 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I just wanted to comment that Easton Mountain Products customer service is top notch.  I was missing a spare air-lock replacement mechanism for the tent poles that come with the Kilo-2 tent.  I contacted them and had the part within a week.  That's great customer service.  

8:57 p.m. on April 19, 2014 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I got to try this tent out for 3 nights at Havasupai falls in the Grand Canyon. 

So far my first impressions are very positive.  For a 2-man tent that weighs less than 3 lbs, this thing is roomy (relatively speaking), easy to set up, solid and quite simple. 

My 11-yr old son and I spent three nights in this tent and we both were very comfortable and slept really well.  I am 6'2" tall and had plenty of foot clearance at the foot of the tent and had room to sit up and change clothes without a problem as well.  My son was using a Thermarest pad and I was using a new Klymit V pad (thumbs up on that too) and they fit side by side perfectly.  There wasn't much room to spare.  The vestibule is pretty small.  You could fit some boots and one decent sized pack in the vestibule.  It is pretty easy to get in and out of.  The door anchors away from the entry so that is convenient.  I think the earlier version of this tent anchored at the floor and you would be stepping on the door getting in and out.  That isn't the case with this tent. 

This tent is technically called a free-standing tent but it gets much of it's structure and support from being staked down.  It is pretty flimsy if it isn't staked down.

The tent staked down very easily, and mounted down to the ground very solid.  We had a little wind that was around 20 mph gusts and it held very steady. 

I  am not ready to write a full review on this tent yet because I haven't used it in the rain or snow yet but I really must say I am quite impressed so far. 

_DSC0313.jpg

_DSC0320.jpg

_DSC0317.jpg

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply