gregory packs?

8:31 p.m. on March 1, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

'round & 'round I go....

y'all best start charging me! :)

Gregory packs, anyone?

specifically the jade 50 (w's version of the z55)

general feedback on their pack design &/or this model?

gracias!

6:47 a.m. on March 2, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
457 forum posts

Mrs Stranger and I have been shopping for a new pack for her and she tried on several Gregory models in store.  The fit was solid as she described it, hugging her frame.  She was a bit put off by how rigid the back panel and belt were though. This was just in store, no trail experience, but that was her initial reaction.  We were looking at larger models so didn't look at the Jade as I recall.

I'd definitely try your options on in store if at all possible because the different brands we looked at seemed to vary widely in how they fit.

6:16 p.m. on March 2, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

try them on and see how they feel.  I know Gregory makes meaningful distinctions between models intended for men and women.

my experience is with their Baltoro 65 - a heavier backpack intended to carry more weight, and frankly a backpack whose suspension isn't really focused on keeping air moving across your back.  as i'm sure you know if you have tried it on, the Z55, by contrast, is more of a mid-range suspension and is designed to allow some air circulation between the body of the backpack and your back.  

I have had the baltoro for a few years.  the hip pad and shoulder harness use foam that is firmer than most.  it took me some time to get used to it, but i bought the backpack because it was the most comfortable one i could try on and walk around a store with 45 pounds of beanbags, and i was fine with the design.  In the array of considerations, comfort under a full load is my #1 priority, much more so than the little design features.  the foam does get a little more forgiving with time.  the backpack is on the heavy side, but it's intended to carry up to 50 pounds comfortably.  unlike most backpacks i tried that claim to carry that much weight, this was one of the few that actually fulfills the promise.  i'm not interested in criticizing other brands, but i tried quite a few that started to labor when they were weighted above 40 pounds.  

the baltoro has proved to be very good and very comfortable for the intended purpose, carrying a fair bit of weight, and the backpack has been quite durable.  i might disagree with one or two of the design choices they made - the orientation of certain pockets, for example - but overall, my impression from this experience is that they make a very good product.  

3:55 p.m. on March 3, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
758 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

I agree with Leadbelly, try on the pack, with a load  and see how it carries and feels.  I also have a Baltoro (70), a Z40 and Z22.  They are great packs; built for comfort over the long haul. They are not the lightest packs though.  The Z series is lighter than other Gregory packs and has their "Jetstream" suspension, meant for more air flow across the back.  I have used the Z40 for overnight trips and carried 25 to 30 quite comfortably.    Another brand to consider is Osprey.  I have an Atmos(W's: Aura) 50 that I use for multiday longer distance trips that has worked well for a few years now.  I usually carry 25 to 35 pounds comfortably in it with no problem.

6:02 a.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

My wife has a Jade 60.  Very well made pack and she likes it.  It fits her well.  I'm a Gregory fan however.  I have a Z35 and a Teton 60.  They seem to fit me better than another pack maker that I am fond of, Osprey.  

12:01 p.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Now I have been using Gregory Packs for years. Now I used several models for years. I currently have the big Denali Pack for all my extended wilderness sojourns which has served me well. Yes gregory packs  come in various sizes and everything which one can specify for there unique body dimensions. One of there older packs which is no longer made and whose name have forgotten, Colin Fletcher onetime said that was his most favorite pack.

7:43 p.m. on March 23, 2014 (EDT)
202 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

i own the Z40 (the males version of the next size down, i believe) and completely love it. the x frame keeps the air moving across my back wich keeps me dry, and it comes with its own rain cover. it holds everything i need for a multi day adventure & packs down pretty small for day hikes (a little overkill, but not too bad). the only thing that i don't like about the bag is the almost uselessly small size of the waist pockets. i strugle to get a head lamp to fit. other than that, i love my gregory pack. durrable, comfortable, relatively light weight.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply