ExOfficio Cooling hoodie

11:02 a.m. on March 14, 2014 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Has anyone here tried out ExOfficio cool clothing line yet?  Apparently they are putting out clothing that has Xyiltol infused into the fabric.  The Xyiltol creates an exothermic chemical reaction and cools you down.  That is the theory anyway.  I tend to sweat heavily while hiking in warm environments and I am thinking a shirt or hoodie like this would be great but don't want to drop that kind of $$ unless I know it works well.  They advertise that it can lower body temp up to 5 degrees.  

4:05 p.m. on March 14, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts

Jason...I have the Sol-Cool tee in both long and short-sleeves. I believe that the line of clothing is somewhat cooler than most synthetic and wool base-layers (particularly when wet)...but it is not so much improved that I would purchase the shirts for that reason alone. The primary reason I purchased the shirts was for the UPF protection (sun protection that doesn't wash off...renewable...and super reliable). Since I mostly backpack here in woodlands...I do not use the shirts while backpacking except as a dry base-layer for camp and sleeping when I expect to get wet from rain while hiking in the summer. I mostly use the shirts for kayaking and canoeing...which I think they are perfectly suited for! The shirts protect me from the full sun exposure..and are very comfortable to paddle in. More importantly...as long as you do not get too loose a fit (do not get it perfectly snug either)...the shirts are relatively easy to swim in...so very little drag when you find yourself swimming in the drink unexpectedly (though I swim in the shirts intentionally anytime the sun is up so I do not get burned).

IMO...if you are looking for a shirt to stay cool in while hiking in hot and humid conditions...nothing beats an old threadbare button-up cotton shirt. I know it is a little old-school...but the (usually negative) high absorption of cotton makes sure you enjoy all of the evaporative cooling your body works so hard to produce...and the buttons provide what seems like limitless ventilation options. The thinner (threadbare) the shirt the better...because it will increase drying time (though not as fast as synthetics)...and if thin enough wearing the shirt is not much different than going without a shirt.

4:25 p.m. on March 17, 2014 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Thanks for the input Joseph.  Much appreciated.  Is the version you have the one infused with Xyiltol?

5:36 p.m. on March 17, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
431 forum posts

Jason...Yes...the entire Sol-Cool line uses Xyiltol.

5:39 p.m. on March 17, 2014 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Thanks Joseph.  The new Backpacker Mag kind of made it sound like the ExOfficio Xyiltol infused fabric was all new this year, as in a new product line.  Thanks again for your feedback.  Always helpful.

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply