REI 2013 Dividends!

5:12 p.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Hey, y'all,

Checked my REI account this morning, and - sure enough - my 2013 dividend had gone through!

Talked to a representative to clarify, as it was originally marked as my 2012 dividend (long since spent). Was in fact for 2013, just mislabeled. 

Also looks like the usual member discount coupon is due out around March 28th - I'd advise y'all out there to hold onto it for a bit (if you're not opting for the check/cash equivalent) to take advantage of the coupon.

It's a fun topic to bring up every year, so...

...what are you guys and gals planning to spend yours on?

11:50 a.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I work at REI- It fun when divendeds/ 20% of on full-price item comes out. It's like Christmas!!!!- PEACE-RANDY.

12:23 p.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I've been wanting to give the Inov-8 Roclite 295's a go.  This seems like a great way to see what they're all about.

2:26 p.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,675 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

I joined REI back in December and made my first purchase in January. No dividends for me but I'm looking forward to the 20% coupon.  

It's tax season for me now and there were two weekends in a row with two stores having Garage Sales...not for me because of our schedule.  Can't wait to go to another one planned in June though!

Any advice for Garage Sales?  Time to arrive, etc? Thanks in advance!

11:10 a.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

When every few years I buy something I tend to shop at REI just for the dividend at the beginning of the following year. I usually use the extra money to buy fuel for my stove,batteries or some new little gadget. I bought a few new items last year from REI so I will be interested to see how much it is this year.

I have been a member of REI since 1978 when it cost me $1-2 to join. I joined when I was living in Anchorage AK. Back then I bought all my gear from them. Now I tend to shop at Amazon for much of my needed gear.

1:10 p.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

My dividen is a whopping 2.00 thats how Often I shop from them..Not that they have a bad  selection..I just shop at my local outfitters that has a bigger selection for Long distance hikers..

5:14 p.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
2,024 reviewer rep
449 forum posts

My dividend wasn't much since I had twice as many dollars in sales purchases as in qualifying purchases.  I did make good use of the 20% coupon though. 

Mrs Stranger's new Osprey Ariel 65 just arrived and she did the happy dance during the unboxing ceremonies.  I picked up a new headlamp with the outlet side of the coupon and am still seeing spots two hours later so it must be a good one.

Now we just have to hope for a short mud season because she just asked when can we go ;)

8:08 a.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

I got a $29 dividen, but as I browsed REI's website, I couldn't find anything I wanted that I haven't already bought or can find cheaper elsewhere. Guess, I'll just hold on to it until something comes up.

8:56 a.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

Since I buy most of my gear from the cottage vendors I really don't need much from REI. I will probably pickup some fuel canisters, odds n ends and maybe some food 

10:21 a.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Mine is $184.00! (I have an REI credit card I use to pay bills to up my div.) I also have two $100.00 gift cards to use. Going to get stuff for my Peru trek!

10:29 a.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Giftogab, You must buy a lot from REI, my dividend is $19.03. I didn't spend much last year from them. Last year I bought from Backcountry.com, Amazon.com and other places though I don't buy much new gear any more. In the late 70's and early 80's I used to buy exclusively from REI mainly just to get the dividend in the following springs.

1:39 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

Ewker said:

Since I buy most of my gear from the cottage vendors I really don't need much from REI.

Exactly.

1:44 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
1,675 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

GaryPalmer, I think giftogab uses her REI credit card for all her bills like she said, not necessarily just at REI.  You also get an add'l 5% at REI (new or used) on top of 10%, plus the $100 gift card.  Not bad if you need an extra credit card!

2:29 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Goose, don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting the cottage vendors - this past year alone, I've bought from Warbonnet, Dutchware, QiWiz, Trail Designs, AntiGravityGear, etc., but REI serves two purposes for me:

1.) Gear I need in a hurry. Cottage vendors - because more often than not, they make things one at a time, and by hand - rarely if ever ship things out on the same day they're purchased. It's a necessary evil, but one, nonetheless.

2.) Utilitarian gear. Stuff sacks, p-cord, FD meals. That stuff. While I like buying things that will hold up over time, I - to this day - cannot justify spending bananas money on cuben stuff sacks, etc. Easier, cheaper, and quicker to just buy them at the brick-and-mortar store and just as easy to replace/restock when the time comes.

Contrary to the two points above, I'm cashing-out my dividend and putting it towards gear from the cottage industry. :) WB Travel Sock, here I come.

2:47 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I buy most of my mainstream big ticket gear from online retailers.  I usually get things for a fraction of the cost of REI and I avoid paying sales tax.  I do go to REI a couple times a year for fuel and sometimes mountain house meals though.  

3:15 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

I'll use my dividend for stove fuel or something like that. Not much at REI for $19.03

9:45 p.m. on April 3, 2014 (EDT)
431 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

I bought a Bug Hut 2 shelter for this Summer's pack trips, and I'll likely end up buying my wife an REI Flash 52 pack.  I just love dividend time!!

8:27 a.m. on April 4, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

My big purchases are infrequently nowadays, I have all the toys I desire, therefore significant purchases are usually to replace worn out items.  I have recently replace my solo tent, and both my synthetic and down bags each rated to 20, and a down bag rated to -25.  The rest of my gear is good to go.  Hence my dividend for the next several years will probably go into food and gas.

Ed

10:46 a.m. on April 4, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Thinking I will get some well needed socks, they have a lot of them on their 20% off sale.

12:13 p.m. on April 4, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,499 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

i wish i had giftogab's dividend.  (ours was about 65 bucks).  i don't have any plans to spend it right away. 

1:24 p.m. on April 4, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
690 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Giftogab Pretty good idea on the credit card! We have little tykes running around so we use a Toys 'R' Us credit in kind of the same way. 

What's the Peru trip for? Are you going just for fun to hike and explore? 

8:49 p.m. on April 4, 2014 (EDT)
1,058 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Thinking I will get some well needed socks, they have a lot of them on their 20% off sale.

I have to agree. For the last few years, this is almost exclusively what I spend my dividend on. To me dividend time equals new sock time.

I think this year my dividend was just shy of $15, and with the 20% discount (good for REI-Outlet too), that equates to a new pair of socks. 

However, I do appreciate what Ewker, Goose and Eric L. have mentioned regarding purchases from cottage vendors.

1:10 p.m. on April 5, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

I haven't seen this mentioned but it is also possible to get the dividend amount returned as a check, if (gasp) you don't need any new gear. I'm sure that doesn't apply to any TS community members though :).

1:11 p.m. on April 5, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Originally made an impulse buy with my dividend which I regretted.

When I returned the item, and because I spent my own money atop the dividend, they just refunded the entire amount back onto my card. 

Wound up being an accidental way of being able to "cash out" early.

Came home, gave it some good thought, and promised myself I'd only spend it on something I needed, or would allow me to do more than I can with my current gear. 

Headed over to good 'ol Warbonnet, and ordered a prototype "Travel Sock" from Brandon, offered at a discount to the normal price. It's a cold weather over-cover for the hammock that buys the user another 10 to 15 degrees of warmth.

photo-2.jpg

Here it is hung in my backyard.

Ironically, the landscapers removed half the damn trees in my backyard at about the same time I got into hammock hanging. Go figure. Pardon the not-exactly-thirty-degrees angle - blame the landscapers on that one.

Hopefully can get out there sooner, now, and be able to stay out later.

3:41 p.m. on April 5, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Actually I decided to go with a:

Kabletek Flexweave Cable 3/16'' X 6'

6-foot-bike-cable.jpg

I do a lot of cycling so I can really use this to secure my bike to trees,fence posts and other things my standard U lock won't fit around. 

Its was $7.00, shipping was $5.95

I have about $6 left.

6-foot-bike-cable.gif

November 25, 2014
Quick Reply