solo tent under 4 lbs. less than $150 ish

12:01 a.m. on March 24, 2014 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

the title pretty much says it all. i'm looking for a tent for my solo adventures without the girlfriend. the limitations are:

1. 3 season 2. double walled with a rain fly that goes to the ground. 3. weigh less than 4 lbs. including tent body, poles, rainfly and footprint 4. cost less than $150 (or close, not including footprint) 5. no bivy sacks. i want something i can sit up in, as i would like to be comfortable in situations where i might be stuck inside for a few days due to inclamate weather. 6. breathable, most of my camping is summer camping. 7. vestibule for wet/muddy/snowy shoes 8. withstand rain, sleet, snow, 30-40 mph wind gusts. 9. 1 or 2 person capacity, for me + gear (i dont mind spooning my pack)

i'll be using this for over night/multi-day backwoods excursions durring all 4 season in northeastern PA. my list of potentials so far are:

eureka spitfire 1, alps mountaineering mystique 1, alps mountaineering lynx 1, texsport cliff hanger 1, trackman 1 person tent

any other suggestions, input, or personal experience with any of these tents would be mucho appreciated. thanks!

4:33 p.m. on March 24, 2014 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Lots of good tents out there, especially if you don't mind the heavy side of that range. But first something a little different -

The Six Moon Designs Scout.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

125 bucks, hybrid single / double wall tent, only 34 ounces ( without stakes and poles ). Requires trekking poles. Pitching it looks finicky to me but many folk love this kinda tent. 

If it was me, I'd save an extra 100 bucks and get a TarpTent Squall 2. That's what I use as a solo tent.

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

Yeah, it is a single wall shelter. But I can't say enough good things about the TT Squall 2. I even have the bigger version, the Rainshadow 2. Yeah, it's more than you asked fer, but it is worth it. Nowhere else will you find a two pound tent this weatherproof, easy to setup and roomy.

Now fer "regular" heavy 'ol two part tents -

Backcountry.com has a pile of solo tents for sale in yer price range, check 'em out -

http://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalog/categoryLanding.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&categoryId=bcsCat71110042&sort=%2Bprice

They got the Eureka Amari pass for under 100 bucks, the Northface stormbreak one for 130 bucks, the Eureka Spitfire for the same.

They got an Easton Mountain products Rimrock fer 160 bucks, and so on up the line. You should find good hunting there. I've never used any of these, but you can look up reviews of 'em.

Happy hunting, let us know what you pick! 

4:45 p.m. on March 24, 2014 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Campmor has several solo tents in yer price range including the Eureka Midori, the Alps Mountaineering Lynx, kelty Gunnison 1.2, and some of the tents I listed above as well.

If you can squeeze together a little extra coin they got the new Sierra Designs Flashlight, a very exciting new tent,  for 220 bucks and also the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 for 210 bucks!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368487?ip_navtype=AdvancedSearch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368487&ip_sortBy=priceAsc&filters=Capacity~1%20Person~1%20Person%20(29)&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=0&colorFilter=

5:00 p.m. on March 24, 2014 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Have you considered the Easton Mountain Products Rimrock 1P?  Very good reviews - self supporting and only $10 more than you wanted to spend.  It meets all of your requirements and has side entry as well.

http://www.backcountry.com/easton-mountain-products-rimrock-1-tent-1-person-3-season?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6ZWFzdG9uIHRlbnQ6MTo1OmVhc3RvbiB0ZW50

5:29 p.m. on March 24, 2014 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I just picked up an Eastern Mountain Products Kilo 2 latest version for $148 from backcountry.com.  It was on sale for 60% off with a coupon I had.  I think they may have kicked it back up to retail because the latest backpacker mag mentioned this tent.  It all of a sudden got real popular so they kicked the price back up.  The tent weights 2lb 3 oz.  Sweet tent so far.  Look around, you may be able to find one on sale if interested. 

The Kelty Crestone 1 is also a great lightweight 1 man tent.  I did a review a while back.  I think I picked it up for around $60.  There are still a few around I think.  

12:11 p.m. on March 25, 2014 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

That is a crazy good price for the Kilo 2.  Just watch those carbon fibre poles.  If they fail, they are not field serviceable because they shatter rather than bend.

2:58 p.m. on March 25, 2014 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

@Family Guy.  I think maybe it was a mistake on backcountry.com's part that they had the Kilo 2 in their outlet so I got very lucky and knew to jump on the deal.  Those poles are sweet and light but I know what you mean about carbon fiber failing.  Its not like when aluminum fails or bends.  

4:11 p.m. on March 25, 2014 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

thanks for the help everyone! i love this site.....  so after looking into the new potentials listed and then some, my list consists of:

freestanding-

alps mountaineering lynx 1 person (3 lbs 9 oz)

the north face stormbreak 1 person (3 lbs 7 oz)

non-free standing-

eureka spitfire 1 person (2 lbs 10 oz)

alps mountaineering mystique 1 person (3 lbs 11 oz)

sierra designs light year 1 person (3 lbs 6 oz)

all tents are in the same price range, and the weights that i have listed are what i believe to be their maximum weights before anything is cut/ditched/ modified.

i use to prefer the free standing tents for stability, but they're often either very narrow, which limits gear space, or too spacious, resulting in a much cooler ambient temperature inside the tent. they also tend to have less space where the walls and floors meet, increasing the chance for the feet and head to hit. so now that i've considered this, my thoughts are:

the EUREKA SPITFIRE 1 has my eye because it weighs the least, is tall enough to sit up in, wide enough to sleep with my pack, a small vestibule for messy shoes, and the foot are is lifted up so that my feet wont hit the roof. the only downfall that i can find in my research is that the floor material is made of some of the thinnest available, but a foot print should remedy that right? or will it effect the weather proofness around the bottom of the rain fly?

the SIERRA DESIGNS LIGHT YEAR 1 also looks nice, but 1/2 of the pictures that i see of it have 2 plastic sleeves on each pole for the top tent clips to snap into. or atleast that's what it looks like to me. i don't want to get a tent with weird, potentially breakable plastic clips. cold makes plastic brittle, and if i step on them with heavy boots they could crush and render my tent useless. it also looks to have slightly less head room than the spitfire, but it could still be adequate sitting space. does anyone have experience with this tent design?

once again, thanks for all the help!

7:48 p.m. on March 25, 2014 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

The Sierra designs Light Year is brand spanking new so yeah it is unproven.

It is also a hybrid kinda shelter, not the traditional inner body and fly arrangement. However, Sierra Designs have been making "clip" tents with plastic clips to snap onto the poles for a very long time.

I'd not worry about the clips. But if it were me I'd get a different tent and let somebody else test drive a new design. 

I had one of their tents once, a Clip Flashlight. The clips were fine and general build quality of the tent fantastic. I got rid of it because of condensation issues and what I believe was a poorly designed entry.It was a miserable shelter in wet weather.

My single wall TT Squall 2 is far superior to my old Clip Flashlight, if a somewhat similar shape. Better entry, bigger, lighter, and no condensation problems. Plenty of covered area in front to cook in wet weather.  If you can squeeze the 200+ for the Light Year think about squeezing a little more for the TT Squall 2.

- Or just go and get the Spitfire! I have a friend with one and he quite likes it. The reviews of this tent are all pretty good.The floor is 70D nylon taffeta with a 1200mm coating. I think that should be just fine. My freind has never complain of a wet or damaged floor, and he doesn't use a ground cloth.

Besides, a sheet of polycro window insulation makes a great ground sheet and is just a few ounces. 

Boots are all you'll get in the vestibule of a Spitfire and I dunno if you can sit inside during a rain storm and cook over a stove just outside and not get water into the tent, or even get in and out in the rain without getting the interior wet, but that may not be important to you as it is to me.

Maybe some Spitfire uses can chime in here!

10:14 p.m. on March 25, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

If my memory is correct Ghost a Member of this site has the Eureaka Spitfire..I think he had a trail report in Shenandoah NP while useing that brand of tent..

So if it's what your looking for and your gut say's grab it..I would go with that..

4:45 p.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

eureka spitfire 1 purchased. thanks for all the input everyone.

1:41 p.m. on March 27, 2014 (EDT)
129 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Hey,

I know it's too late now but I'll add my two cents anyways. I had the Spitfire 1 and sold it. I'm 6' 250 lbs and it was really small for me personally. For me to get my pack inside as well, you will def be spooning your pack as you mentioned. I love the Spitfire design and functionality and would go for the Duo version myself. With the Duo you get dual doors and stretching room as I call it and for less than a pound more. Pure bliss. When I sold the Spitfire I wound up buying a Midori 2 for $139. Stretching room, a gear loft and a very usable vestibule for just 4 lbs and a bit. Another great option is the Amari Pass Solo at 3 lbs 10 oz. These are all Eureka tents btw. I think Eureka really caters to the backpacker that wants a good quality tent without breaking the bank. One of my buddies has the Spitfire Duo and loves it. I may try his Spitfire this spring and consider buying one for myself.

11:04 a.m. on June 11, 2014 (EDT)
145 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

update: used, abused and reviewed! i like it.

12:24 a.m. on June 12, 2014 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

TARPTENT MOMENT DW

I just bought a Tarptent Moment DW to replace my TT Moment single wall tent that I sold after 4 years of 3 season use. I recommend the new DW version highly. The fly can be set up separately as a way to save weight. The inner tent also sets up separately as a mosquito bar.

My Moment DW (double wall) has the ripstop inner for 4 season use but a full mesh inner is also available for summer. I got the optional crossing pole and ran it INSIDE the fly by shortening it 5 1/2 inches.

This minor modification gives the fly much better support in heavy winds and snow load. It's something I did with the first Moment single wall tent as well as my Tarptent Scarp 2 double wall 2 person tent. This mod has proven itself in 65 mph. gusts.

FEATURES:

>2 upper and 2 lower vents

>2 doors and 2 vestibules for packs and/or cooking out of the rain

>very fast setup

>extremely stable in high winds

> good even for 6'6" backpackers

>very good headroom in the center

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply