Merino Wool Socks at Walmart!

1:18 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,276 reviewer rep
828 forum posts

I just scored a bunch of Merino Wool ankle socks at Walmart on clearance for only $2/pair.

They're made by Wrangler. And the quality appears to be on the high side.

These are not listed on the website.

I'm not saying these are backpacking socks, but they seem to be just as good as my "every day" Smartwool socks.

Check 'em out.

1:46 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,964 reviewer rep
427 forum posts

Steep & Cheap had some $6 SmartWool light hikers this morning so I snapped up a few pair. I'm thinking they'll be just as good as SmartWool socks 8p

2:11 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
6,276 reviewer rep
828 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

I'm thinking they'll be just as good as SmartWool socks 8p

Kind of hard to argue that point. :)

4:06 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Also: Sam's Club has a 3-pack of "Omni-Wool" cushioned, crew-height hikers--Smartwool clones--for somewhere around $15...just got to find the nearest eight-child family to tag along with...

6:19 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

food for thought on this topic - at some point years ago, i learned that one of my favorite sock makers, Darn Tough, was manufacturing socks private label for various companies - Bean, Orvis, places like that.  I purchased a pair...and they turned out to be a shadow of the branded socks I loved.  further research revealed a much higher percentage of nylon/polyester in the mix, and much less merino wool.  they didn't fit as well and didn't perform as well as Darn Tough's branded products.  they weren't bad...but they ended up being disappointing.

that has no bearing on these socks, but worth thinking about.  so long as they have a little merino wool in the blend, they will probably be sold as 'merino wool' socks. 

6:42 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Wait long enough and all technology will end up at the budget level. 

8:03 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
6,276 reviewer rep
828 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

that has no bearing on these socks, but worth thinking about.  so long as they have a little merino wool in the blend, they will probably be sold as 'merino wool' socks. 

I completely agree, but for $2/pair it's worth the gamble.

Here's my review on a pair of Wigwam socks that were suppose to be for backpacking....http://www.trailspace.com/gear/wigwam/rebel-fusion-quarter-sock/#review29660

9:19 a.m. on April 8, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

pillowthread said:

Also: Sam's Club has a 3-pack of "Omni-Wool" cushioned, crew-height hikers--Smartwool clones--for somewhere around $15...just got to find the nearest eight-child family to tag along with...

These are my works socks..Not to expensive but Iam a Darn tough fan for backpacking.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply