blister care?

8:36 a.m. on May 4, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
107 forum posts

I'm outta the loop!

what's the latest in blister technology?

is second skin still a fave?

thanks! :)

9:15 a.m. on May 4, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,378 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I have my socks dialed in now so haven't had an issue for a while but I'm a fan of duct tape on a hot spot before it can blister.  If a blister sneaks in I carry moleskin just in case too.

12:54 p.m. on May 4, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,877 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

I'm carrying Lueko Tape for blisters. But here's my "dialed in" approach, as LS put it:

1:07 p.m. on May 4, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,223 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Leukotape for sure...it's best used as a preventative measure: cut a patch larger than the problem area by about 3/4" on each side, round the corners, and stick it on. Rub it into the area for a couple minutes so the heat of your fingers helps the zinc oxide adhesive set better, and it'll stay on for at least 5 days...through sweat, mud, and even field-showers...

Basically, if you follow this method it stays on till you take it off. I've never had a blister or even hot spot form when wearing Leukotape.

5:21 p.m. on May 4, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,378 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

It really does pay off to figure out how to avoid rather than treat foot problems.  I want to be prepared to deal with them if they come up, but I'd rather complain about being too happy than my feet.

@G00SE I've gotten hooked on using a liner sock as well.  They take almost all the friction issues away for me.

6:18 p.m. on May 4, 2014 (EDT)
99 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

LoneStranger said:I've gotten hooked on using a liner sock as well.  They take almost all the friction issues away for me.

+1 on reducing friction...I've always used liner socks, and recently I've also been using SportShield (roll-on) lube and it seems to help keep hot spots away. I got the recommendation from my local hard-core running shop.

8:35 a.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,877 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

JohnAbercrombie said:

and recently I've also been using SportShield (roll-on) lube and it seems to help keep hot spots away. I got the recommendation from my local hard-core running shop.

I've started using Ininji toe socks. On my last 6-day trip, I used Body Glide on my feet for the first 2 days. Then I didn't use it again the rest of the trip. I didn't notice a difference, probably because of the Ininji.

10:56 a.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

It is blisters that originally brought me to Trailspace. And a great thread about it is HERE. I dialed in my system too. I have a cloth Band-Aid on each heel, silk liner and Thorlo light hiker sock. I also like Darn Tough socks. I carry a blister kit with special tapes and I have good lacing techniques. BillS told me to ge the book Fixing Your Feet, And I did and it has ALL the tips you need with all the products out there.

feet.jpg

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply