toting cell

5:19 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

what's the ideal way to tote a cell phone in the backcountry?

in previous times, I'd pack a walkie-talkie in a Ziploc and it didn't harbor moisture. would this fly for a cell?

also...

provided it's well-cushioned in my pack....

would I need a case?

or would a small stuff sack cut the mustard?

I garner the same would apply to a camera?

thanks! :)

6:41 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

I only own a cell phone for emergency use so mine is turned off and resides inside a sock in a dry sack inside my pack.

I carry my camera in a pouch attached to a shoulder strap on my pack for easy access.  I will wrap the camera in a ziplock for added protection if expecting showers, but the whole pouch goes inside my pack if expecting all day rain.

Knowing where you are headed you are smart to plan for rain :)

7:52 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,414 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

Since ditching my smartphone (My new phone calls & texts only) I'm almost identical to LS, except I carry a low-end camera. When it rains, I stick it in a ziplock bag and shove it in my pocket under my rain pants.

Last trip there were several pics I shot in a light rain, including this unexpected encounter:

Day-2-Fern-Clyffe-Bork-s-Waterfall-30-.j

Always want to have my camera handy!

7:53 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

I keep my iphone in either my pocket or my hipbelt pouch. The only time i ever put it in a bag etc is when i am doing a water crossing with significant potential for a dunking.

I keep my phone in a fairly good quality case and have never had an issue on any of my trips. If its going to be raining hard or otherwise wet conditions i will make sure to put it in some form or fashion in a location it is protected. Most of the time this is a pocket on my chest area under my rain shell.

I like to keep my phone accessible for pictures, notes, weather, elec maps, and gps.

9:58 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,461 forum posts

I keep mine in my pocket. I invested in a case that is a special drysack/case for iPhone so I could take it kayaking and up the Narrows in Zion s well. It works great and my phone has not got wet. (unlike the iPhone I dropped in a Nepali squat toilet!) Here is how the quality turns out:

IMG_3555.jpg

10:35 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,025 forum posts

My cell phone goes in two zip-lock bags and stowed within semi-easy reach. As long as it's dry when it goes in, there is no reason that it would "fry." When I have a camera, I'll affix it to my shoulder strap for easy access.

11:27 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

My cell phone goes in my car.  Where we hike, there is no reception anyway.  Who needs the extra weight.  It doesn't take photos as well as my camera does, and we don't use GPS...

11:37 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

i'll be stashing mine for town use only.

... a simple check of messages and a phone call home,

as I haven't a need for "routine" use (never do anyways). :)

me thinks the double Ziploc idea, tucked in one of my drysacks will do the trick?!

yeah?

thanks kids.

1:15 p.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

Giftogab: is that image from the Zion Riverwalk trail?

I leave my hone off most of the time as well when in the backcountry, rarely works anywhere I have been anyway for calls.

1:36 p.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,461 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Giftogab: is that image from the Zion Riverwalk trail?

I leave my hone off most of the time as well when in the backcountry, rarely works anywhere I have been anyway for calls.

Yes Gary...on our way in to hike one morning

4:16 p.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

This one's an enormous catch-22.

I'm trying to go multipurpose when I'm able: phone doubles as a camera, etc., and instead of carrying different items with one purpose each, I just carry the phone (along with a backup, USB-based battery) to accomplish the same. It's also a backup compass, light source, etc.

It's protected like a tank with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Armor-Series-Waterproof-iPhone/dp/B00B59NKRU

Trouble is, it weighs about as much as the tank does.

Came across these pouches from ZPacks (one of which is made specifically for phones):

http://zpacks.com/accessories/zip_pouches.shtml

While you can't actively use the phone while it's protected inside one of these (unlike an OtterBox case), it does keep it waterproofed.

For added protection (albeit redundancy) you could store the phone inside a ziploc, then put it inside one of these. Decreases weight at the cost of decreasing functionality and durability. Again, though, that's the catch-22 of the matter.

10:13 p.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I use a certified dive case from Aryca.
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
Great water proofness and good shock protection.

I carry it with me for the camera and because I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the car. I also carry a solar charger for those longer trips. 

7:20 a.m. on May 8, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

I like it, steven.

I like it. :)

thanks for sharing y'all!

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply