Day Pack Bliss

9:44 a.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I was going to use my REI Lookout 40 Pack for the Peru trip but have decided against it. The back pad against my back is simply too hot. I love the trampoline web of the Deuter so I picked up a new Deuter Futura 30 SL Pack.

Deuter.jpg

I used the Deuter Futura Pro 42 for Everest and it is a bit larger than I need or even needed there.

image.jpg

So When something works ya gotta go back to it...right? So I will review it when I return from Peru in the fall. That will give me three months practice with it and then a use for multi day in the conditions I intended it for.  Got a SWEEEEET price on it at the REI Anniversary sale!

10:16 a.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts
Re: Day pack Bliss

OH! And I was looking close at some Ospreys too!

11:03 a.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
987 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Looks like a nice day pack. I haven't used a Deuter before, but hear good things about them.

I've been pleased with my Osprey's thus far (Atmos65 and Talon22, and looking into a Viper9). Just wondering what Osprey you were looking closely at?

11:12 a.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I was looking at the Stratos 34 and the Exos 38.

I really like the swivel hip belt of the Deuter. I simply rests right for me and I don't get the shoulder fatigue I get with the REI Outlook 40. Especially on steeper routes. This new pack is a woman's fit and I will do a lot of testing. If it comes right down to it I will take the Futura Pro, but weight that you are allowed to have yourself and weight the porters can carry for you along with your own load is regulated from what I read. So I am wanting a balance.

11:34 a.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
177 forum posts

Nice choice. I had bought a Futura 24 SL for my ex last year, and I was very impressed with the quality and design of that pack, especially the trampoline ventilation system. I hope it holds up nicely for you!

5:46 p.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks TJ. The quality of deuter is unmatched. hoping the size is just the ticket for my trek to Machu Picchu. The 42 is a bit more than needed I think for that trek.

6:22 p.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
177 forum posts

What are you taking with you? I havent ever done your style of excursion so I wouldnt even know what to take.

For my needs I use either a 20L, 32L or 60L. My interests are mostly on mountaineering, rather than longer distance trekking, but I could see how something in the 30-40L range might be just right for that.

9:55 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I think I will be taking the new 30 barring anything negative I learn in testing once it gets here. IF it is comfortable, as the 42 is, and holds all I need for the day on the trip, that is what I will take. If not, I will take the 42. I won't be taking the REI 40 a it just gets toooooo hot on my back and did not balance well on steep terrain for me. IF the Deuter 30 performs like the 42 in weight distribution and the hip belt I will be in heaven. It is a woman's sized pack too and that may be a bennie but it may not. I have three months of weekend hiking to make the call.

I haven't back packed in years so never need to carry as much as you guys. The treks I take are supported so only need to carry the stuff for the day. Rain gear, snacks, layers and camera really. (of course the list of 10 things is always in there and I carry 2 headlights as opposed to one Ed Viesters style. He says if you drop your light your done so you best have a back up!).

As far as gear, I take the pack and I have a MH Lamina 35 Sleeping Bag, New ThermaRest XLite 10 oz sleeping pad, Got a sweet Patagonia Troposhpher hard shell and a great Patagonia Estes (I think) Soft shell. Boots are Keen Gypsums. They are light but mids so get the ankle support suggested for the all day stair climbs. I use Julbo glasses and will again I am pretty sure.

9:23 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

My wife once asked me how many backpacks one person needs. I told her, I haven't figured that out yet, but I'll let her know when I have enough.

1:15 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Gift - know where you're coming from.

"The back pad against my back is simply too hot."

Leaving tomorrow for a return trip to the Mississippi Palisades in NW Illinois. Same place I took my first solo trip last August - except this time, going there with a much better idea of what I'm doing.

On my last trip there, I spent the majority of the 80-degree day lugging around a beefily-built 75L pack. I don't think my back would've been wetter had I jumped in a pool.

In fact, I'd rather have jumped in the pool.

Learned myself a lesson, there, and I've now got a 25L [MS Scream] daypack supplementing my 50L [MS Haze] main pack that holds my ten essentials, along with some snacks and comfort items as well. 

5:49 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

G00SE said:

My wife once asked me how many backpacks one person needs. I told her, I haven't figured that out yet, but I'll let her know when I have enough.

One's quota of backpacks is inversely related to one's capability to afford more storage space.  But now that your wife is complaining about the baggage you own, versus the baggage you bring to the marriage, you have accomplished your goal and have enough packs.

Ed

7:40 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

G00SE said:

In the cycling community the similar question of how many bikes does one need to own comes up frequently.  The standard answer is n + 1 where n = number currently owned.

1:01 p.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,538 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Looks like a great choice giftogab. We've talked about the trampoline back feature before and it rocks.  While I personally haven't had Deuter experience, I've always heard good things. Can't complain about snagging some sweet deals either!  Looking forward to some great stories from Peru this fall!

6:16 p.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

Eric Labanauskas said:

Leaving tomorrow for a return trip to the Mississippi Palisades in NW Illinois. Same place I took my first solo trip last August - except this time, going there with a much better idea of what I'm doing.

Beautiful area.  Great little state park.  Wonderful views.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply