I've decided to build a travel towel

8:56 a.m. on April 17, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I posted here a couple months ago soliciting feedback about what you look for in travel towels and how a better one could potentially be made. Thanks for your feedback; it's been informative.

A few weeks ago, I decided to drop everything, buy a one way ticket, and travel overseas to Europe to talk with manufacturers and make this towel a reality.

My questions:

1) How many of you would be interested if I started a blog documenting my journey about building the towel from selecting the correct material to getting the correct finish, packaging, etc.?

2) Are there other resources that you recommend I can tap into for more travelers that would find something like this interesting?

3) I've narrowed down the name of the company to four names. Would like to know your thoughts on them and if you like them at all:

Vive
Peregrine
Jaunt
Tow

Thanks!

3:13 p.m. on April 17, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
411 forum posts

I've used three different travel towels, and I like them all.

1)  a big 100% cotton flour sack towel usually seen in old kitchens.  36"x36".  They're very light (even when wet), compact when folded, surprisingly absorbent, and dry very quickly.

2)  a lintless 100% cotton towel usually found in bars and kitchens (the ones with a colored stripe down the middle).  They're thicker than the flour sack, but they also don't rip as easily.  They don't dry as quickly as the flour sack.

3)  an old "as seen on TV" fabric chamois.  They market them to people to wash and dry their cars.  They're basically really absorbent, thick felt.  An adult can dry their entire body with an 8"x8" square.  when not in use, put them inside your cooking pot and pack stuff on top of it.  Light, small, and dry relatively quickly.

6:22 p.m. on April 17, 2017 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

I find one of the many uses of a bandanna is as a towel; usually quite satisfactory if I drip dry a bit .Flick excess water off before hand and the job is done.  I am not likely to find the space or weight for a perfect travel towel since very often a bath or shower is not available.

7:33 p.m. on April 17, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,590 reviewer rep
1,571 forum posts

Best of luck in your endeavor, though I still feel the same as from the last thread.

It's one of those things that doesn't really have a large market. Many options already exist, and suit the bill just fine.

10:30 a.m. on April 18, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
901 forum posts

I wish you luck also, but agree with others...it's not a big ticket item or one I spend much time thinking about. Bandana and Pack Towl work fine for me.

12:06 p.m. on April 18, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

How can a towel by a journey?

9:24 a.m. on April 21, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
684 forum posts

I fear you are too late. We all know about travel towels thanks to Douglas Adams:

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”
― Douglas AdamsThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

These towels are readily available. https://www.etsy.com/listing/165829604/2-embroidered-hand-towels-dont-panic?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-2

The market for an electronic thumb is still wide open. :)

7:27 a.m. on April 22, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
232 forum posts

I would have zero interest in reading a blog about the trials and travails of creating a travel towel. It's just a towel.

You have come up with potential names for your company/product, but based on what? What are you trying to communicate with the name? What might each say about the towel and its unique selling proposition? Who is the target audience? What sort of visual treatment does each lend itself to? These are the questions you should be seeking answers to, not just if people "like" it.

6:02 p.m. on April 24, 2017 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
11,286 reviewer rep
1,348 forum posts

Bandana does it all for me.

December 17, 2017
Quick Reply