Quilt advice

1:10 p.m. on May 14, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Anyone have any recommendations for a summer weight quilt that won't break the bank? I have always used a bag and would like to give a quilt a shot this summer to see what I think. Right now the Therma rests are leading the way because of a roughly $150 price range but I would like to hear from some people that use quilts regularly before deciding.

3:29 p.m. on May 14, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

Not sure what you are looking for in a temperature rating so I went with 40°F as an example, but you should look at what Hammock Gear is offering in their "Econ" line up.

http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-40/

They have those listed at $120 currently, but it may take a few weeks for them to build you one. I don't have one of these, but folks are saying very nice things about these lower priced quilts. They are cheaper than their regular line because they got a good deal on the down and materials used to make them.

9:50 p.m. on May 14, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Thanks Lonestranger. I will check them out when I have a chance. I was planning on the 40 to 50 degree range. That should be fine for Southern Appalachia.

8:40 a.m. on May 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

I've been doing a large amount of research on quilts.  I currently have a Jacks r Better Sierra Sniveller which is a great quilt.  900 fp down in it, rated to 30, packs small.   The width at 48" is just a little too narrow.  If I sleep on my back there's no issues but if I tun on my side, well I have to be careful about it.  

I've looked at Locolibre quilts, Underground quilts, Enlightened Equipment and Hammockgear quilts.  The Hammock gear Econ Quilt was a viable option for the price I could get on the quilt I wanted.  But in the end, I ordered a Sierra Designs Backcountry Quilt 15.  Only because I didn't want to have something custom made that I might end up returning if I didn't like it.  

At least with the SD, I can get it, check it out, roll around in it, etc. and send it back if I don't like it, knowing that the company didn't take the time to customize something to my exact specs.  On the other hand if it is a good option, the size specs of the SD quilt were similar to other cottage company quilts I had been researching.  I could still return it minus the shipping and order a custom quilt if I wished.  I do like the integrated hood option on the SD quilt even if it can only be used by a back sleeper.  

Good luck in the hunt!

12:04 p.m. on May 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,275 reviewer rep
5,981 forum posts

Jaaon,

If you have a Costco nearby, they carry (seasonally) a quilt that is fine for summer camping at $20. The manufacturer is Blue Ridge Home Fashions, 15761 Tapia Street, Irwindale, CA 91706, phone 800-971-2677. The down is 700 fill power.. The size is 60x70 inch.

We have found them to work just fine as a summer throw. Being a throw, they lack hood or foot. So they probably won't work for 3 season.

The package has a cardboard sleeve with pictures of people in the snow -  a bit misleading. But as long as you limit the usage to summer trips, they are fine for Sierra or Rockies up to 10,000 ft or so.

2:55 p.m. on May 15, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,501 reviewer rep
214 forum posts

About the Costco throw -- it is just a flat rectangular blanket, doesn't come as a quilt. Weight is right around one pound. I made one into a summer quilt by adding KAM snaps  in the right places that can make a footbox. It's thin so only good for down to 55F, maybe 50F depending on your sleep layers and your temp tolerance, so not a full summer season piece of gear that you might expect to take you into the 40s. If you sleep with a down puffy and good layers on your legs it might take you down that low. It's also short so won't work if you're tall. But as Bill said, for mild nights for a medium to short person it's a great ultralight solution that works well and is dirt cheap.

Otherwise LS has pointed you to Hammock Gear's econ line, and beyond that you will be hard pressed to find a decent quilt at $150 or less. Massdrop currently has a quilt for $190, but otherwise they tend to be well over $200, at least with down insulation.

3:40 p.m. on May 15, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

Just heard from HG this morning that they are currently running a solid 4 weeks from order to delivery, but that is expected from any of the cottage, made to order, folks this time of year :)

4:40 p.m. on May 15, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,551 reviewer rep
1,371 forum posts

If you're sure it's a 40-50 degree quilt you want, type "UL Down Quilt" into ebay...there's a shop that takes the Costco throws and sews them into quilts. $60-$70, depending on if you want the length-wise seams ripped.

11:36 p.m. on May 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

I forgot to mention one other: Paria Thermodown 15 quilt for $160

7:46 a.m. on May 18, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Thanks for the help everyone. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Sierra designs back country quilt or a Big Agnes Kings Canyon. I know I can get through the summer with these and not have to custom order. Sierra designs is probably warmer but the Kings Canyon only weighs one pound so it could be used to add warmth to my winter sleeping bag or paired with a heavier quilt if I decide to eventually replace the bag. I plan on getting one in the next couple of weeks and trying it around the house and on some overnight trips, if I am happy with that I have a weeklong trip planned for the end of June. I will keep you updated. Thanks again.

8:38 a.m. on May 18, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

+1 on the three season quilt paired with something warmer for Winter use. Been doing that with my top quilts for years and am planning on similar experimenting with under quilts for my hammock. Always nice to get more use out of expensive items like that.

Good luck and of course we'll expect a review eventually :)

10:51 p.m. on May 18, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

I did receive the SD Backcountry Quilt 15.  It's a nice quilt.  The hand pockets are unique as well as the hood, but, I find I don't like the sewn footbox.  So it's getting returned.  I decided on the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 degree which has the zipper/shock cord foot box because I can use it like a regular comforter if I wish.  Should be arriving tomorrow.

Glad the info all have shared with Jason was helpful in his decision making. 

7:24 a.m. on May 19, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

I really like the flexibility of the EE footbox. The Revelation uses the same basic system as my 20° Prodigy which can be configured in quite a few different ways; Totally opened, just the gather cinched down, zipper with one snap or zipper with both snaps. I have found it works great alone or paired with my 40° Ventra inside when things get really cold. Bet you'll be happy with that purchase Rob :)

7:41 a.m. on May 19, 2017 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,776 forum posts

Rob had a friend hiking the CDT right now and was using their 20 degree quilt said it was more like a 30 their back to WM bag again....They admit they may be a cold sleeper...

10:24 p.m. on May 19, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

1st impression is it's an amazing quilt. I bought the long/wide Revelation.  I like  the vertical baffle design.

Denis I heard that can possibly be attributed to the material EE uses.  The outer and inner are 10D which makes it ever so slightly more breathable than the 20D which is "normally" on the majority of sleeping bags/quilts.  The 20D quilts trap more air which is evident when it's being stuffed vs the 10D.  But there's always trade offs I suppose.  20D is more durable and resists moisture better.  10D compresses better, feels less clammy but can't be treated roughly.  I planned on buying the 20 degree with the intention of using it in temps of 30 and above. I'll stick with my regular mummy if I know the nighttime temps will consistently be in the 20's.  I don't consider myself to be a cold sleeper but I'd rather have a mummy for those colder temps.  

7:18 a.m. on May 20, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I went with the Big Agnes Kings Canyon. $128 from Backcountry. It's supposed to arrive today. Hopefully I can try it on the porch tonight and see is I want to keep it or return it.

8:31 a.m. on May 20, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

Sort of jealous of you folks ordering things that arrive in a few days :p My last few months have been spent waiting for various cottage builders to work their way down to my order on their long lists. The good thing is that the items have been paid for long before they arrive so I can enjoy them without the next credit card bill taking all the fun out of it.

Denis, regarding your chilly friend, I have found that when using a quilt the insulation you need under you shifts dramatically as you approach the lower 30s. My XLite is just fine to the freezing mark, but darn cold soon below that, no matter what quilt I am using. Don't know what he was using, but I'd wager that is what got him.

11:41 p.m. on May 20, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

Jason Berry said:

I went with the Big Agnes Kings Canyon. $128 from Backcountry. It's supposed to arrive today. Hopefully I can try it on the porch tonight and see is I want to keep it or return it.

That Primaloft should perform well. I have a couple of Pertex garments. Great material but be careful with it.

12:34 a.m. on May 21, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,551 reviewer rep
1,371 forum posts

Oh spit...the Kings Canyon is a synthetic...googling...

Ok. 45-degree rating, which means you'll want more at 50, but it's only a pound. I can dig it. Supplement with a Costco down throw as needed and I imagine you'll be set for all Southern Appalachia summer can offer you.

3:32 p.m. on May 21, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I got to try the Kings Canyon out on the carport last night, so I will throw out some first impressions. Light, it weighed in at 17 ounces, with stuff sack and shockcord on my scale. Compact, smaller than a size 10.5 hiking boots. Windproof?? I placed a floor fan next to the bed and wrapped up in it and couldn't feel any air getting through. Close enough to windproof for me. Warm, overnight low of 63. I was wearing regular boxer briefs and a pair of socks and never pulled it up to my shoulders. Plenty of length and width to wrap up if you need to. Pertex fabric may be to fragile for shelters. I will be throwing in a groundsheet if I plan on sleeping on wood. Thanks for all of the advice. I have a two night trip planned for next week and a week long trip rambling around the Smokies in July. I will put together a review after that.

10:22 p.m. on May 22, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,275 reviewer rep
5,981 forum posts

JR, I have been out of town for a while, so am late responding to your comment on the Costco Quilt. You claim it is just a rectangular blanket. However, it fits the standard definition of a quilt - "two layers of fabric with wool, cotton, or feathers, kept in place by lines of stitching". The down in the Costco quilt is 700 Fill Down. The stitching is through, which reduces the warmth, true. But it does minimize shifting the down inside. Fluffed up, the thickness is about a centimeter, sufficient to keep you warm on summers in the Sierra below 10,000 ft or so, or to add warmth when added to a regular sleeping bag.

For a Scout trip in summer (especially this year in the Sierra), it is plenty warm, more so than the fabric liners that a lot of the young Scouts use for their first year or 2.

12:35 p.m. on May 24, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,501 reviewer rep
214 forum posts

I agree Bill that the Costco quilt does fit the standard definition of a quilt, I was distinguishing it from a backpacking quilt that typically would have the ability to close up a footbox.

Sleep temp is very personal, sounds to me like your temp comfort threshold is lower than mine, the Costco doesn't keep me warm below about 50F and in the Sierra even in summer I've experienced overnights to near freezing. My threshold of 50F for the Costco is typical for many others from what I've seen in discussions on other forums for this piece of gear, but as always YMMV, if it works for you lower than that then kudos.

November 21, 2017
Quick Reply