food canister

8:47 p.m. on June 4, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. addrew, andrew sonleitner

has anyone used the bearikade bear canister? how do you rate it over the backpackers cache I was thinking of buying one and wanted to know if the price is worth it or not?

11:49 a.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Quote:

...the bearikade bear canister?

I haven't personally used it, but a friend used one on his JMT hike with his family last summer. Since it was a family hike, they needed several containers (3 food drops along the way, with the last leg a very long one). In addition to the BearIKade, they had a Garcia and a couple of UrSacks. They were a bit antsy about the Ursacks and didn't use them until the last leg (Sequoia NP bears are not as educated as Yosemite NP bears), and then made their camps at the least-popular stops that only have room for one or two tents (the bears tend to congregate around the more popular campsites).

Anyway, Richard feels that the BearIKade is well worth the extra cost over the Garcia on several counts. These are the lower weight for a larger volume and the way the opening is designed. It is easier to get stuff in and out because of the narrower lip. My ranger friends at Yosemite tell me that the BearIKade has stood up to their live-bear tests as well as the Garcia (Ursacks, even the latest version, fail in several ways).

I haven't put out the money for one myself because (1)impecunious pensioners don't have that much money, (2) I already have a Garcia that works for my treks into agressive bear country, and most important, (3) Richard has offered to loan me his when I need it. I don't go into the riskier areas very often (Yosemite back country is just too crowded, and my Alaska treks tend to be up on the glaciers and higher), and when I do, the trips are generally only a couple days long. But if you are just getting one, and certainly if you are heading out for a through-hike on the PCT, JMT, AT, or into griz country, I would put the BearIKade at the top of the list, with the Garcia next.

5:36 p.m. on June 8, 2003 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I have two of the smaller bearikades. Chose these over the garcia due to the weight. Never a problem with them, but then again never had a bear come along to play with them. They have successfully kept smaller varmits out of my food though.

Whether I have animal worries or not, I carry my food in a cannister all the time. Never a spill should a ziplock open and I appreciate always having a stool to sit on.

Quote:

has anyone used the bearikade bear canister? how do you rate it over the backpackers cache I was thinking of buying one and wanted to know if the price is worth it or not?

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply