family car camping tent recomendations?

1:57 a.m. on September 19, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

I want to start getting my girls (2 and 4 years old) out for a little car camping, and would appreciate any tent recomendations anyone might have.

The full crew will be me, the two girls, my wife and our fairly large dog (long legs and 80 pounds or so).

Since weight isn't a constraint when car camping, I'm thinking we should be looking at a 6 person capacity or so.

Web browsing at Sierra Trading Post, Campmor etc. shows that Kelty, Coleman, Eureka, Wenzel and possibly others have models that might be candidates.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

9:12 a.m. on September 19, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Eureka Tetragon 1210. n/m

nm

10:55 a.m. on September 19, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

My family has been generally pleased with the Eureka! Equinox 6. Its a very comfortable size for four persons and I can stand up in it. Its big enough for the family to throw their clothes in also. The trick for us was to ban all shoes and kids from the tent during the day or it gets trashed quickly. Then you bring along a small Walmart/Costco cheapie tent for the kids to use during the day as a dollhouse/playhouse.

12:15 p.m. on September 20, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Take a look at the REI Base Camp 6.

blade

8:46 p.m. on September 25, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts
Thanks to all!! (n/t)

5:30 p.m. on October 2, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve

Quote:

The full crew will be me, the two girls, my wife and our fairly large dog (long legs and 80 pounds or so).

My family has a 4-room tent (one "living room" and three "bedrooms" that sleeps me, the wife, and three kids comfortably with plenty of room for gear. It's a Greatland, available at Target. I know, I know - but it's a durable, strong tent which has held up for five years of rambunctious children. It uses fiberglass flex poles, the center dome poles are built-in, and I can get the thing up and staked down alone in 10-15 minutes, less with help. The rainfly is removable for ventilation in hot weather and it has good no-see-um mesh in door and windows. Strong, ripstop nylon taffeta bottom.

Best of all, they run about $120 or so. I never thought I'd be recommending a Target tent, but this is a winner!

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply