tent question?

9:34 a.m. on August 23, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi there,

I've now purchased 2 tents and discovered that they both have mesh sides. My new one is the Eureka Tetragon 9(good reviews overall) but I'm worried that for chilly nights these tents will not provide enough protection from the cold.

Is there much of a difference between zipped up windows vs. mesh sides tents? Please any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

TN

3:59 p.m. on August 27, 2006 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

tents that have a lot of mesh in their design are considered 3 season tents,and all of this extra ventilation will prove to be chilly during any cold weather camping,if your going to camp during the fall or winter on a regular basis you may want to consider purchasing a four season tent,I own quite a few tents,one of my favorites is the Asolo Ptarmigan,it's a 3 person,4 season tent but can be used year round due to a vent in the fly and because it has four large mesh panels,all of which can be left open or closed if necessary for colder temps
hope this helps
Stikeen

2:49 p.m. on August 30, 2006 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

The rule of thumb for high country backpacking is that the air in a tent that is completely closed up can get about 10 degrees warmer than the air outside. Of course, any opening reduces the differential.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply