tent suggestion please

4:33 p.m. on September 2, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi folks...
I ride a motorcycle and like to camp out, but cannot find a tent with these features:
-stand up in 5'8"
-weighs less than 12 lbs.
-apprx. 60-80 sq. ft.
-less than $150
Anyone have some suggestions for a tent?
My trips usually last a minimum of 2 weeks with a big temperature range, so I like to unload my gear and stow in the tent while I tour/sight see.
Had a tent called 'High Adventure' that bit the dust, but even that one was too small for all my gear and couldn't stand up when getting dressed.

8:14 p.m. on September 2, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Since this is a backpacking site and neither a motorcycle camping or car camping site, I'm not sure you will get really useful answer. But a couple of observations -

Your combination of 60-80 sq ft and 12 lbs (plus tall enough to stand up in) is not compatible for a tent that is going to last very long. Although, I am not sure why you are so worried about the weight if you are on motorized transportation. I can see worrying a bit about packing size (the poles alone would be terribly long for motorcycle transport.

Another thing is the 60-80 square feet - I have lived in places where the bedrooms were 8x10 feet and smaller (that is your specified 80 sq ft). And you found that something in that size range was too small for what you carry on the motorcycle? Good grief! I wouldn't want to see your gear list (many of us here are ultralight backpackers, trying to trim our gear lists back to the under-20 pound size, including food and water). Since this is a backpacking site, where people carry their gear on their backs while hiking, I suspect the best thing is to look on one of the travelling motorcycle websites, where people do go motorcycle camping.

And the $150 price range leaves only the Big Box store house brands, which aren't covered on Trailspace.

4:37 a.m. on September 3, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Try Campmor.com and look for Eureka or Coleman for family style tents. As Bill said, this is a backpacking site,so your best bet is to ask other motorcylists.

12:07 p.m. on September 5, 2007 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I would take a look at the Big Agnes Big House series they will be more expensive than you were looking for but the specs are very close. The Big House 4 has 68 inches of head room, 65 square feet, and 11lbs 5 oz packed weight. And you can buy an additional vestibule that has 52 square feet. If that is too small you can look at the Big House 6 which is bigger yet and $50 more. The price on the BH 4 is $299 and the additional vestibule is $100 so double what you wanted but very close in specifications.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply