Cold weather sleeping bags

8:36 a.m. on October 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Cold weather around the area I live typically means about twenty degrees with sixty percent humidity. There may be a little snow but not drifting or heavy as in the mountains or far north.

I am 6'1" and weigh 225 pounds. I have a North Face Blue Kazoo. It is a regular and I find it to be too cold and too confining.

I would like a 0 degree bag that is not too heavy, (i.e. not over three to four pounds) and not more than $250.

I would certainly appreciate your input.

10:42 a.m. on October 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

My best suggestion in your price range is either the Integral Designs Renaissance or North Twin bags in long length. These are Primaloft and I have had superb performance from my North Twin in BC autumn conditions, my favourite bag for hunting and work.

IF, you can scare up more cash, I would buy a Western Mountaineering Kodiak Dryloft for your needs and this will be a bag that will last you a lifetime as it is high quality down.

These two firms make what I consider the finest sleeping bags available at present.

www.integraldesigns.com

www.westernmountaineering.com

12:49 p.m. on October 18, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

Since you indicate your conditions are fairly dry, you might also consider a bag from Feathered Friends http://www.featheredfriends.com/

Their bags (all down) are the best bags I have ever used. They have models that are less confining than the Blue Kazoo.

I might note that Integral Designs also makes down bags, though they are best known for their Primaloft bags. Their bags (both Primaloft and down) come in less confining configurations.

Between kutenay's post and mine, you have the 3 companies that make the best sleeping bags (and parkas) in my experience - Feathered Friends (Seattle), Western Mountaineering (my neighbors just down the road in San Jose), and Integral Designs (in Alberta, Canada). All three make their gear in their home countries, no contracting out to SE Asian firms thousands of miles from their corporate offices.

Australian and New Zealand friends tell me that MacPac is in the same league, but I do not have personal experience with their bags (I do with their packs, though, which are excellent).

12:54 p.m. on October 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I currently have down bags from Feathered Friends, WM and ID as well as the Pl bags from ID. I prefer a down bag, by far, for everything except hunting and wilderness work and Bill is righton here, as always, FF makes GREAT gear, I intend to buy another down parka from them next year.

Gettin'old, memory is fadin'!!!!

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply