Kayaking Trip in May-What to pack?

11:45 p.m. on April 21, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Hello,

I will be embarking on a short kayaking trip in late May. It's 3 days, 2 nights, kayaking through Strathcona Provincial park, Vancouver Island.My question is, what should I pack? The group that I am going with is providing Food, shelter, and the kayaks... I am responsible for my clothing and personal food.

Any ideas? I know that synthetic clothing is a must for all outdoor trips, but I'm sort of stumped on what else...

Cheers!

Eric D.

10:45 p.m. on April 23, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

Spion you are Lucky, Lucky, Lucky.

Talk with your travel mates about what to bring and if you can borrow some/ all of what you need. Otherwise talk to kayakers for this type of info.

Keep in mind that you will be up in the mountains in spring, Pack for cold, wet weather. Survival/emergency kit packed first, then Paddle clothes, Camp clothes, and maybe sleep clothes. Try and keep camp and sleep clothes dry with dry bags, or dry compression bags. Your paddle clothes may get wet during use.

Prepare for Winter weather, and enjoy Summer weather. You may find it still cool up there at that time of year.

Your basic camping/backpacking gear in dry bags/ well wrapped plastic bags.
Synthetic clothes, fleece hat, fleece gloves, floppy brim hat, sunglasses, sunscreen lots, camera, personal first aid kit. Rain gear. Your own map of area. Wool can also be used for outdoor trips, it just takes time to dry.
Day wear clothes and night time clothes usually work well. One of each should work out well, unless you go for an unplanned swim.

I don’t quit understand you say the group is supplying food and then you say you need personal food. An old nalgene bottle lately discarded by most people could be used to store some of or all of the following:
Emergency/Survival Kit?
Trail Mix (without oiled nuts or chocolate, the nuts can go rancid and the chocolate melt).
Herbal Teas (they do not require sugar or honey to drink, and just some hot water).
Instant Oatmeal (?)
Lanyeager Sausage, (Spelling could be off), or other similar type.
Cheese, little waxed balls or packages of same work well.

Just keep in mind that you only need small amounts of each especially if the group is supplying main meal type food.

I hope this helps. I have probably forgoten a few things sorry. Enjoy the trip.

6:10 a.m. on May 7, 2008 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Hey-hey!

Things of your own that you should always take with you.

Toilet Paper

3 sources of fire. Waterproof matches, Lighter, Fire steel.

First Aid Kit

Pillow (Or you'll need the next items in the morning)

Advil and/or Tylenol

Flamazine (Someone ALWAYS burns themselves.)

Headlamp and handheld flashlight

Map & compass (You may not always be together.)

Extra boot laces (many uses including fixing broken boot laces.) : )

The best duct tape you can buy. (Don't bring whole roll. Just wrap 20 feet of it around a pen or pencil.)

Pen or pencil & note-book (Note-books remember interesting thing better than we can.)

Air mat repair kit (Assuming you have an inflatable air mat of some type.)

Something comfortable to sit in at camp. (A good quality folding stool/chair is worth the weight and bulk for the vastly increased rejuvination you get from not having to sit on a log or the ground.)

A book (Depending on how boring your company is.) : )

Sewing needle and some polyester thread (Fix a tent, pants, jacket, etc.)

That's it...I think. Anyways, have fun!

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply