Need a 3 to 4 person, Four Season Tent... Any suggestions?

8:00 p.m. on August 2, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello all,

I am looking for a good 3 to 4 person, four season tent. I live in Alaska and camp in areas of high rainfall and snowfall. Weight is not an issue in the decision. I have been looking at the Hilleberg's Nammatj, Mountain Hardware's Trango 4 and EV3. I have talked to several people and read many reviews and still have not came up with a decision. I was set on buying the Trango 4, until I found this site and read some bad reviews regarding the hooks and poles. I was hoping someone here may have some more insight or ideas.

Thanks

11:20 p.m. on August 2, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I have spent my life in exactly those conditions and owned/used a LOT of highend tents since the '60s. The ONE that I find BEST is the Hilleberg Saivo with a large size Hilleberg tarp and a footprint. This is a TWO person tent for any wilderness stays beyond a couple of nights, for four people, I would buy two of them and rig the tarp between them.

If, weight is of no concern, my choice would be a Hilleberg Atlas, with vestibule, floor and footprint, in fact, I am considering buying one of these next year for extended northern BC-Yukon-NWT camps as being able to stand up during a 2-4 week stay is a GODSEND. Believe me, I was a wilderness fire lookout in the days when we had only tiny shacks to live/work in and some space when you are in the bush for extended periods REALLY makes a huge difference.

I find the Hille domes just more stable and easier to erect than the tunnel styles, YMMV.

October 17, 2017
Quick Reply