Primus OmniFuel or Optimus Nova?

1:25 a.m. on August 30, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm looking to purchase a new liquid fuel stove in the next few days. It seems like it has come down to the Primus OmniFuel or the Optimus Nova, but which one? I have owned a MSR Dragonfly and loved it but went through two fuel pumps in a few years and also felt the supports could have been more sturdy. My expeditions are primarily into the amazon and africa,not high altitude stuff, but the multi fuel capability is important. I also use my stoves a lot for beach camping and outdoor dinners so the simmer capability is important to me. Does anyone have experience of either or both of these stoves, or any other that could be recommended for the multi-purposes. Just based on pictures and snippets of reviews, I wonder if the simmer functionality of the older Nova is better than the Nova Plus? It seems that some suggest that the new simmer function can be sticky and twisting the fuel line can topple the stove? How is the simmer capability of the Primus? Thanks in advance for your comments....

7:39 p.m. on September 1, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,285 forum posts

Having used both, I would choose the Primus Omnifuel over the Optimus Nova, particularly when switching among fuels in 3rd World countries. Despite the Optimus clever magnetic cleaner, I find the Primus easier to maintain. The simmer function works adequately on both, though the simmer on the Primus with compressed gas is close to as good as a kitchen stove at home (simmer with liquid fuels is adequate on both the Optimus and Primus).

10:18 p.m. on September 2, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

In my limited experience with trying to simmer, I'd agree that compressed gas is the way to go.

8:08 p.m. on September 4, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

Jetboil all the way, baby!! :)

8:14 p.m. on September 4, 2008 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,285 forum posts

BeritOlam, he said he is looking for a *liquid fuel* stove. Jetboil is compressed gas. The Primus he named as a candidate happens to burn compressed gas in addition to white gas, kerosene, and other liquid fuels. The Optimus is only liquid fuel.

11:30 p.m. on September 4, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

hes probably thinking that beacuse the jetboil uses its fuel in liquid form rather than vapor? (fuel bottle sits upside down)

12:30 p.m. on September 5, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

That was a joke....

I've backpacked with guys using Primus and Optimus...and it seemed to me that the Primus was easier to maintain.

8:40 p.m. on September 5, 2008 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,285 forum posts

The original 2 versions of the Jetboil were screw-on burners. The new one which pushes the liquified butane/propane through the generator tube is still a compressed gas stove (and Jetboil is far from the first company to do this - Primus, Coleman, and several others had this available several years before Jetboil).

3:23 p.m. on September 18, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I had the Optimus Nova briefly, and never actually lit the thing up before i took it back for a Primus Omnifuel. I found the fuel line on the Nova to be (a) to short, and (b) to stiff. Inflexible to the point that i had trouble fitting the entire thing into my pot set, and worried about the stove flipping when i flipped the fuel bottle.

While the Nova does have the cool magnetic internal needle for cleaning, i've heard mixed reviews about how effective it is in preforming its task, and that the fuel filter is overly small so cleaning is needed before every use to be run things problem free. Having not tested this, I can't verify the accuracy of the reports, but it's something to consider.

The only bad thing that i've heard about the Primus Omnifuel is that it wears out sooner because of the constant nipple changing for different fuels... if someone who's had one for a while could comment on that it would be great.

Last point: The optimus Nova has been around for a few years now, and I believe Optimus become part of Brunton or something. Point being the stove has been around for a while, and alot of the problems the stove has had in the past seem to have been addressed. Unfortunately with no marking or changes in model or name, it's impossible to know if you have a newer model Nova with fixes to common problems (such as fuel line clogs) or one that has sat on a shelf for four years.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply