About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

marmot never summer verus marmot couloir 0

12:28 a.m. on October 18, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am trying to decide which of these 2 bags to get. Anyone have experience to give comparisons on these 2 bags? Thanks

9:49 p.m. on October 18, 2008 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've never owned the Couloir but I do own, and like, my Never Summer. Here's an excerpt from my earlier post in June- I purchased a Marmot "Never Summer" down bag last year for about $200 and have been very pleased. Overall quality was very good- I found the hood and draft tubes well engineered and comfortable, the zippers worked smoothly and didn't snag (especially in the middle of the night), and the bag temp rating to be generous. The bag compresses well and, as a reference point, fits into the sleeping-bag compartment of my Osprey Aether 75 pack. I use the bag late-fall to early-spring here in the mountains of northern NM.

1:22 p.m. on October 19, 2008 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I upgraded to a Couloir bag in 2001 to replace an old, top-of-the-line North Face 550 fill Ibex bag(circa 1982), and it's been hauled around on hundreds of winter trips and has kept me warm and snug inside a tent. Highly recommended.

The difference between the Never Summer and Couloir is fill and weight, the Never Summer(3 lbs 10 oz) having 600 fill and the Couloir(3 lbs 3 oz) with 750-800 fill. Go with the higher fill as it will be lighter and warmer.

I finally found the Couloir to be too cold at zero or below, so after 6 years of hard use I upgraded to a WM Puma. My Marmot has now become my "summer bag" and I can drape it over me when it's warm and eventually I end up underneath it by morning.

11:05 p.m. on October 19, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Appreciate the comments. I will try the Couloir.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply