Tent Help

7:58 p.m. on December 5, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

My dad's old Eureka tent, passed down to me so many years ago has finally bit the big one (thanks in part to a careless hiking partner) so I have been spending countless hours researching tents lately, pouring over reviews and information regarding many of the lighter weight options. I am fairly certain I have come down to 3 decent options, those being:

MSR Hubba Hubba
MH skyledge 2.1
Nemo Morpho AR

I know all three are different tents (although the MSR and MH have some real similarities). Normal use would be in Minnesota type conditions in the spring, summer and fall. No winter for this tent, although late fall would be a distinct possibility. It will be used a lot, mostly for the Superior hiking trail, BWCAW and similar conditions found throughout the midwest. It will most likely accompany me to the Wind River range as well as the A.T. in the coming year. These are just a few of the examples of places I KNOW I'll be using the tent. All of these outings will be 2 people (except the BWCAW, but two is as many as I want in my tent out there).

All three have received outstanding reviews here on Trailspace, as well as other sites around the internet which is making this a hard decision. I have used the original Skyledge 2 and as many users stated, its a bit small for 2 full grown men. I have not had the chance to try the 2.1 which supposedly resolved this issue, but to what extent i cannot say. I have not had the pleasure of staying in a Hubba Hubba, but i have seen it set up at my local sporting goods retailer and think the amount of space would be right around what i want. The Nemo is on the list because i have the opportunity to purchase one for roughly the same price as either the MSR or MH, but i am concerned about durability and size in/on my pack. I have not had a chance to use any Nemo shelters, but have heard great things about them.

I would love to hear from anyone that has used any one, two, or all of them. Helpful advice is always appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

11:27 p.m. on December 5, 2008 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I looked at a Hubba Hubba in REI, and bought the REI Quarterdome T3. I don't have any friends I like enough to share a Hubba Hubba with. Not giving up that much in weight either.

8:38 p.m. on December 7, 2008 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I own the Morpho AR, and I can say this is a solid, durable tent. It is a single wall tent, so it is small and light. I also own a larger REI Taj 3 tent, which is a traditional three-person, free-standing, double wall tent, and it takes up much more room in the pack and only adds 9 sqft of space over the Morpho.

I use the Morpho as a 4 season non-alpine tent, and it has met all my expectations. It takes my about 3-4 minutes to set up (the Taj 3 takes me about 10 minutes, by comparison), and it is rock solid in any weather except perhaps heavy, wet snow. It might even be okay in heavy snow, I just haven't tested it be so.

One thing to note is that the Morpho is not free-standing, so if that is a requirement, then look elsewhere. I do not consider any tent to really be free-standing, so that is not a concern for me. When fully stakes (8 points) and guyed out (4 more points), the tent is solid, dry, and secure. The air beams are sturdy, and not able to be popped. Also, unlike a broken pole, the air beam is field repairable to 100% functionality on the spot.

I am nothing but happy with the Morpho, and NEMO is a great company. If you have any concerns, just give them a call and ask. There are only like 10 people there, so you get to talk to someone who knows their stuff.

3:07 a.m. on December 15, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

Hubba Hubba all the way....awesome tent if you can split the load between two people, the set up takes less than 5 minutes, and she's a pretty bomb proof 3-season shelter. But if you're looking lightweight, how about a bivy.

4:23 a.m. on December 18, 2008 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

** terra nova voyager,

*relatively low cost
* really easy to put up - 3 poles, all equal length which slide into 3 sleeves

* 3-4 season mountain tent,
mine stood up to 100 mile an hour winds over 2 days

* free standing
* loads of room
* relativly big door area
* weighs 2.5kg
which is on the button for eithet solo camping or sharing with your loved one
IT REALLY IS THE TENT TO BUY

5:57 a.m. on December 18, 2008 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

MSR Hubba Hubba
MH skyledge 2.1
Nemo Morpho AR

the above tents all have really interesting design features, but why not go for something straight forward, easy to put up and will last

i bought a Mountain Hardware trango 2 tent a while a go thinking that the clip system would be really easy and quick to put up
Its a great tent once its up + absolutely bomb proof for winter camping - i used it in scotland several times + as teh saying goes if it stands up tro a scottich winter it will stand up anywhere, but after spending 30mins one evening trying to clip the thing together in a howling gail i ditched it to my spares store and bought a Terra Nova Voyager

my advice to anyone buying a tent is:

a/ think about what you want to use it for - family hols, standing camps, or hike camps

b/ realistically how many people are going to be using it on a regular basis - you, you and your loved one, you and your loved one and a few others ?

c/ how much are you prepares to pay + carry in weight, the more expensive the tent the lighter it tends to be, but that does not necessarily mean it will last longer.

d/ dont go for gimmicks - get a tent which is straight forward and simple in design,
clip systems are great if in your garden, but not if in a howling gail
do you really want to be fixing a leak in your rapidly deflating tent at 2am in the morning at -15 ?

And lastly - ask around, go to a campsite on a busy day and see what other people have bought, weigh up the pros and cons of each design
have a good look at what tents your local shop offer &
if they offer good customer service they will be happy to let you try and put it up and try it out in the shop

A tent really should be for life, or at least 25yrs, so take your time and shop around

My favourite 4 tents would be:
Vango force 10 - the original mountain tent
vango micro 2 - light weight hike tent for 1
terra nova quaser - 2 man or more 4 seaon mountaineering tent
terra nova voyager - 1-2 man 3-4 season mountaineering / hike tent

good luck

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply