Shangri La 3 True 3 person tent?

11:52 a.m. on January 6, 2009 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I have been looking at the Shangri La 3 TiPi tent by GoLite as an option for a winter hike for three people. Their web site indicates that it is a three man tent, but I do not see how there is enough room for three people (never mind any gear). With the center pole in place, where would the third person sleep? Anyone use this tent with three people?

9:49 p.m. on January 6, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

You are correct. It has room for 3 people but they have to be really short with the centre pole or can be tall if the top is hung from a tree branch. Consider it a 2.5 person shelter.

Did you order the Patrol?

12:05 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Thanks CWF, thats what I was afraid of.... It looked a little small for three, and I'm 6'1".

I am planning a trip with two other guys this February. We are going to hike the Presidental Range in the White Mountains. One guy wants to bring a 5lbs two man tent. The other wants to go with building a snow shelter. I have been looking at all the options to figure out what will be lightest and safest. With three of us, it is hard to find a lightweight safe option.

I could go with two tents, but that would be alot of extra weight. Black Diamond has the FistLight at under 3lbs, but again it is too small for anyone over 5'11".

I have been looking at single man tarps using a bivy. Most larger tarps are too light for heavy wind, or just to heavy. The Shangri La 3 seemed like a nice solution.

As for the Patrol, I need to contact Ron and ask about the TriStar in Spinn as you suggested. I think that is the best way to go for a solo winter tarp.

The search must go on, but I am running out of time.

1:13 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Sounds like a great trip!

MLD already has the Mid, which at 10' x 10' should fit potentially 4 around the pole. And it weighs 1.5 lbs in Silnylon and of course, less in alternative fabrics.....

...personally looking at either the Trailstar, Patrol, or Duo Mid but can't for the life of me come to a purchase conclusion....

7:38 p.m. on January 7, 2009 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Nice call on the MLD Mid. I thick thats the one for this trip. Now I just have to figure out how to get the Mid and the TriStar. I must have been on MLD wed site over 100 times and still missed this one....

Thanks CWF

12:30 a.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

It helps to offset the pole on the Shangri-La, but it's pretty full.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply