EMS Boreal 20 with Primaloft

11:45 p.m. on March 3, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Opinions on this bag? Looking for a nice 3 season bag on a budget and came across this one.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?STYLE_GROUP%3C%3East_id=1408474396004018

11:55 p.m. on March 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Check out the Lafuma X950 Pro or the X650 Pro. Both are really sweet bags. The X950 will set you back about $120 and the X650 about $85. Both of these bags weigh alot less then the EMS and both pack down alot smaller.

7:52 p.m. on March 4, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I actually have a friend with the Lafuma x950 and he complains that the bag doesn't live up to its rating.

8:14 p.m. on March 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I think Lafuma gives you alot of bang for your buck but I could be biased because I sell there products. Another good bag is Big Agnes, though there prices are a big higher. I think there worth there money though because they have a sleeping pad sleeve which means no rolling or sliding off your sleeping pad. Have you thought about buying a down bag? They are lighter, warmer/cooler, and more packable.

8:34 p.m. on March 4, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I'd love a down bag.. Just not dealing with a down budget. This bag just kinda caught my eye as a good deal and seems it would fit my needs fairly well.

11:01 p.m. on March 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I caught a sale(on line) at EMS last year and got a Mountain Lite 20 degree down bag for $125. I've slept in it at 20 or a little less and was plenty warm. If your not in a hurry watch their website. I've had good luck with EMS even though I have to order online only (no stores in Colorado)

10:13 a.m. on March 5, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

If the price is the only reason you not buying a down bag then you should go with a Lafuma Warm & Light 600g down. It will only set you back about $119, Plus it weighs and packs down to nothing.

11:17 a.m. on March 5, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Packing size is not a huge concern for me. Just about any bag will pack into the bottom of my pack. The bag you suggested is a 40deg bag i'm looking more into the 20-30deg range. I have been thinking about how hot it's about to get around here and wondering if i'll even be able to use a warm bag.

Thinking I need two bags for my area it's hot a hell in the summer and the winter low avg around 15-20 deg. I honestly may just end up carrying a sheet in the summer.

What do you guys do in hot weather? Just sleep on your pad?

11:53 a.m. on March 5, 2009 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I don't have this particuliar bag but I do have the Cabela's XPG Backpacker Mummy Bag that has Primaloft Sport insulation. My bag is rated to 15 above. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat20144&rid=&indexId=cat20144&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20144&id=0038248

The bag is very lightweight but I think the Primaloft is not quite as warm as some other insulations I used.

I would say the Cabela's XPG Bag is comfortable to about maybe 25-30 degrees.

However, after reading the link you provided, the EMS bag looks pretty good. I would say ALSO CONSIDER:

The Backside Back-It 15 degree mummy bag. http://www.campingcomfortably.com/the-backside-15-degree-back-it-x-fibre-mummy-bag.html

I know from experience The Backside's X-fibre bags are very good. They are true to their claimed temperature ratings. Plus they are very lightweight and pack very small. I myself use the Backsider model, which is rated at +35 degrees. http://www.campingcomfortably.com/the-backside-35-degree-backsider-x-fibre-mummy-bag.html

I need to point out The Backside makes some really decent gear that really holds up. They are not all that well known like those over-priced BIG name brands. But their gear performs as well if not better than those trendy brands at a much more reasonable cost, seeing you are on a budget.

Hope it helps!

5:45 p.m. on March 5, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

You may want to look at this; http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html

The price is right, the weight is pretty good, you could do worse.

8:03 p.m. on March 5, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Thanks for all the info guys.. I'm still looking around..

Alan that's an interesting bag. I've never seen that design before.

2:19 p.m. on March 8, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Glad to have helped!

I wish you the best!

Happy Trails!

4:38 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I just got an email from ems providing me with a 25% off coupon for one item at full price. So now the bag is $111 thinking I shouldn't pass it up?

4:51 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I say go and purchase the bag. Take advantage of the savings. I would.

7:45 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

EMS has a great return policy as well. Definitely a good price for that bag

1:56 a.m. on March 23, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I went ahead an ordered the bag. Hope it was a good decision.

11:35 p.m. on March 26, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Got the bag today.. I ordered a long and am thinking maybe I should have bought the regular. I'm 6'1" and have 4-5 inches of space at the feet. Should I keep the bag or return it for a regular? I didn't want my feet feel trapped or be pushing the limits of the bag. I think it will be fine but wanted the opinion of the forum.

10:17 a.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Go with the long. I too am 6'1" and would go with this particular size.

You made the correct choice.

So judging from what you see, how do you like the bag?

12:17 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I only had time to get in and out of it to check the size. But, it seems to be a great bag. I looked over the contruction and material and it all looks solid. Looking foward to using it. And for the $111 I paid for it i don't think I could have done any better at all.

1:25 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I know you made a good purchase. I rejoice with thee TravHale.

Do keep us informed how this bag performs. I for one would like to know. I'm glad you got the EMS brand. Wise decision in my opinion.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply