Kid Carriers: Deuter Kid Comfort vs. Sherpani Rumba Superlight

1:53 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

I need a new kid carrier, primarily for three-season day hikes, though it may go backpacking on occasion. It's more important that I get a comfortable pack that I enjoy using regularly, than worry about extra storage.

I'm considering the Deuter Kid Comfort and the Sherpani Rumba Superlight. We already own a large Kelty from child #1, and it pains me to even think of using it due to its excessive weight and uncomfortable hipbelt. I did not like it.

The Deuter Kid Comfort I and the Sherpani Rumba Superlight are the lightest ones I can find (4 lbs. 10 oz. and 4 lbs. 8 oz.) with decent to good reviews. I don’t want a daypack that converts to a child carrier. I also need a pack that stands up so I can load a 20+ lb kid into it alone.

Deuter gets good marks from many for most of their kid carriers, so I’m fairly confident they would be a good bet. They also make bigger, heavier models with more storage, which have good reviews:

Kid Comfort I (600 cu in, 4 lbs 10 oz)

Kid Comfort II (1100 cu in, 6 lbs 1 oz)
Kid Comfort III (1200 cu in, 6 lbs 13 oz)

Carrying two pounds less of carrier is attractive.

In 2007, Backpacking Light gave the Rumba Superlight an “above average” rating, though they said it weighed above its stated specs (5+ lbs). It has more storage than the Kid Comfort I (1500 cu in vs 600 cu in).

I am heavily leaning toward the Deuter Kid Comfort I, but am still undecided and don't know if I'm missing anything.

If anyone has used either or both of these kid carriers and can add some pros or cons please let me know. Or if you know of another sub-five-pound model you think is comparable or better, please share.

I need to order one soon to hit the spring trails with the baby.

The Deuter Kid Comfort I:

The Sherpani Rumba Superlight:

3:31 p.m. on March 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

For anyone who's interested, I got the Deuter Kid Comfort I. The Ski Haus in Steamboat Springs, where I was last week, had several versions to look at and I ended up buying it. The size was what I was looking for.

So far, I like it. I had to buy the canopy separately online though.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply