Tatonka Sherpa Dome Tent

2:46 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

As always, I'm on the lookout for quality gear without the BIG name brand name or price. What's new, right?

I found this tent while browsing the outdoorgb.com website. Take a look: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/tent_tatonka_sherpa_dome_plus_3_or_4_person_mountain_lite/

Some of the things I really like about this tent is the geodesic pole structure. Looks like it will hold up to the nastiest of storms, even hurricanes in my opinion.

The colour this tent comes in is very nice too. No "loud" yellows or blues. More "natural" colours, fitting for the outdoors.

I hope I am not (to quote) "occupying bandwidth" with this post/topic. I just like this tent and the features it has.

This company (Tatonka) is German I noticed. Love their brand products.

6:03 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Hummm...I'm sitcking with my Nemo! It's starting to look like Frankeinstein with all the mods i'm doing to it but i like it!

10:12 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Hello Franc,

I'm still seeking out a good four-season tent.

I would prefer a non-BIG Name brand tent if possible. This Tatonka model looks like a good tent for the price and the features it hath.

What do you personally think?

1:35 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

I picked up a backpack made by tatonka just awhile back and I'm loveing it. Got it from a trade show. I just made it to the store that sold it to me last week. Carries just tatonka and tasmanian tiger gear (tatonka makes both) all the gear there looked well made. They didn't carry tents at this store specializes in packs. While I was there I picked up a small carry bag and a map pouch from thier tasmanian line. The way I see it if the German and Australian Armies and many Special forces units are useing them. It will take anything I can throw at it.

But tents could be a diff. story its hard to find any reviews on thier products on internet I did many searches most were in german. I didn't find anything that said they made bad products. Check out thier website...

http://www.tatonka.com/en/Produkte/zeltinfo.htm

10:54 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Thanks for your feedback.

I feel the Sherpa Dome Tent would be a more affordable alternative to the The North Face VE-25 Tent. Looks similiar too. I perfer the colours of their brand tents in like manner.

This tent also looks quite sturdy. The hurricane would be the real test of the same, in my opinion.

11:13 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

It's so hard to tell just from the picture and the specs. I know personnaly it's the small details that make a difference, like what side the zippers open, what kind of clips for the tent poles, the material for the shock cord, location of the pockets, is it tall enough for me.....Unfortunatly the specs are not that much help. I've found big differences in size from what was posted to the actual thing, usually the tents are much smaller than advertised.

All those little things add up to make your life either better or just plain frustrating. A good option could be to try different tents in your favorite store and if the price is too steep, buy it used or wait for a closeout. That's what i do most of the time. Having a lifetime guarantee is of course a plus, but you might end-up with a big brand! :P

11:32 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

All those little things add up to make your life either better or just plain frustrating. A good option could be to try different tents in your favorite store and if the price is too steep, buy it used or wait for a closeout. That's what i do most of the time. Having a lifetime guarantee is of course a plus, but you might end-up with a big brand! :P

Good point.

What would your view be on the Kelty Orb 2 Person tent if I may ask? Afterall it is on an closeout sale on REI-outlet.com: http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/792280

Great price too.

11:47 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Nice tent! for 200$ i think you can't go wrong. Top vents, 2 vestibules, closable mesh...

My only concern would be the pressfit connectors. Maybe it would be smart to check some reviews of other tents using these...

but it's cheap, that's for sure!

12:42 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I tend to agree with you.

But I feel bad if I did not consider the MEC Tent or some other smaller-name brand as opposed to those BIGGER name brands.

Maybe I'm all wrong on this one point Franc.

But one thing I do like about this Kelty model is that it appears to be real sturdy and areodyamic. Perfect for usage during the most strongest of hurricanes, in my opinion.

9:49 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Nice tent! for 200$ i think you can't go wrong. Top vents, 2 vestibules, closable mesh...

My only concern would be the pressfit connectors. Maybe it would be smart to check some reviews of other tents using these...

but it's cheap, that's for sure!

Hold on to your seat Franc.

I went ahead and ordered this tent, if you can believe it.

I feel sort of guilty by purchasing a BIGGER-name brand tent. However for the price, features plus considering the fact I'm on a tight budget this tent seems to "fit the bill".

I need a decent tent that will hold up to hurricanes. I trust this tent will accomplish this very thing. :)

4:30 p.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Nice! from the reviews it looks like a good bargain, let me know how it turned out!

4:38 p.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I will Franc.

I'm still suffering from guilt though just so you know.

No I'm not! Just kidding! LOL

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply