About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Rain Gear

10:57 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I'm trying to figure out what I want as far as new rain gear. Nothing is really wrong with my old stuff, but it's heavy and a bit too warm for summer camping.

I was considering Marmot Pre-cip stuff and also Frogg Toggs. After reading reviews, it sounds like Toggs are semi-disposable and tear up easily.

On the Marmot stuff, I would have sworn that I saw their PreCip jacket somewhere with a weight of 8 or 9 ounces. Now when I go to their website the precip jacket says it weighs 13 ounces. What gives? I'm afraid that if I order it it'll weigh 2lbs by the time it gets here.

Also, does anyone have experience with the new MemBrain strata stuff? Is it really that much better than PreCip? Probably a rhetorical question, because I think it's definitely out of my price range.

I don't have a scale to weigh my old gear, but the Marmot jacket doesn't seem like such a great piece of gear as it did at 8 ounces. Any and all comments are welcome.

11:19 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Sorry can't help ya!

I never had much luck with rain gear so i just sorta put whatever jacket looks shiny and plastic over a fleece and go. The good thing with a tarp is that by the time you finish dinner you're dry. ;)

1:44 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

If you are looking for something that will really hold up to being slapped about by branches, and slips and tumbles, the Mountain Hardware Typhoon Jacket is a great choice. They make the matching pants, but I find the fit leaving a bit to be desired. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper the Sierra Designs stuff is really good, and way lighter, but is niether as resiliant nor breathable as the MH Gear. Also check out the MH Quark Jacket, quite a bit lighter than the typhoon though I have not inspected it personaly.

If you're in the buying mood right now, I saw the Go Lite Spectre Jacket on Steep and Cheap for $98 bucks....it's a steal!!!!

2:08 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Nate--

I've got the Precip jacket (now about five years old), and love it. It's not as ultra-light as some, but it's still basically just a shell. It has done extremely well by me, and it does pack up pretty small--easily down to about a 1 L Nalgene size or less. A local store had some on sale a while back for $75; I almost bought another. Now they're sold out--bummer. Don't know that it's the perfect shell, but my quibbles are only that--quibbles.

7:31 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I too have the precip jacket and also love it.

LL BEAN just had some one sale for somewhere around $46.00

I saw them at the Portland, Maine outlet 207-772-5100 Not sure if they have any left.

9:50 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Random: I was looking at the spectre too but I got ahold of the people at backcountry.com and they told me the thing weighs 1.9 pounds!

Glad to hear that so many like the precip stuff. Might have to keep my eyes open for a deal.

9:51 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

LL Bean website doesn't get any hits for "Marmot".

1:48 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

As I have commented here before, PreCip (and Membrain) breathes very poorly. I have a PreCip jacket and pants and only wear them occasionally during the rainy season when doing training hikes to save the good gear. I find I am as wet wearing them after the hikes as if I hadn't worn any rain gear.

Though they cost more, I find even Goretex is superior to PreCip, with eVent far superior if you are hiking, bicycling, climbing, or XC skiing. PreCip is lighter, but the non-breathability penalty far over-rides the weight and price differential. My very light Integral Designs eVent belay jacket is a light and compresses as small as my Marmot PreCip jacket and just walks away from the PreCip in terms of comfort.

2:40 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I have a feeling anything with eVent is probably also going to be so expensive as to not be at the top of my gear list.

Your insights are greatly appreciated, Bill. Sorry to make you repeat yourself. It sounds like my old coleman rain gear (which breathes VERY well, oddly) might just be pulling another season of duty.

5:52 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

For some reason Bean's doesn't list Marmot on the site, but if you call them they are pretty eager to please

10:34 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Find yourself an old kichatna

10:37 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Lighter with less frill, but just as durable as the Marmot Per-Cip is the Golite WB "Virga"

http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=AM1726&s=1

12:05 a.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I'll admit that my Precip doesn't breathe as well, but I think it does an adequate job; when I'm really working hard, it's hard for anything to keep up with my sweat output, and I almost always end up having to make major openings and adjustments in pit zips and the like to get air moving through. For the extra hundred bucks or more, I'll stick with my Precip for now.

There's almost always some piece of gear that's lighter, faster, stronger....(we can rebuild him)....the secret to satisfaction is being able to figure out when "good enough" really is good enough.

Before the WP/B days, I guess we all suffered horribly from the terrible gear options we had. Not sure how I ever survived, actually. Oh, well, I'm not gonna let my "not-quite-as-good" gear get me down. Maybe if I'm feeling rich when I next need a jacket, I'll go with eVent or whatever the greatest thing at the time is.

2:42 p.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Best deal I´ve ever made on breathable raingear is my Arcterix Sidewinder parka. Bought it on E-Bay for $300. Keeps all the elements out, rain and snow and very breathable + you can open up all zippers, underarm and front so you never get sweat stuck underneath your layers. I have used it in heavy rain, sleat, snow and wind. Never failed. Worth every penny.

6:57 p.m. on May 16, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I have some very good gore-tex and some event but when iam doing a summer hike with little or no chance of rain and i also want a light shell to add some warmth to my meager base summer gear i use a precip jacket and a pair of precip pants.Very light and works fine for this purpose.I do not think all folks need or want to spend $300 on a "deal" for a top name jacket.I also dont think the average summer backpacker or day hiker needs to.We who have chosen to push the limits of weather seasons and or terrain really should not impose our needs onto those who really would be over geared and over spent when all they really need is something simple and less expensive.Dont get me wrong i would not blink an eye at spending the big bucks on top of the line gear but alas not everyone needs to buy as i do to get their job done.YMMV

6:59 p.m. on May 16, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

PS I forgot to add that the photo under my name is taken at 8500 ft on the north side of Mt Hood at the base of the Cooper spur route on august of 2008 and the red jacket i have on is the Marmot precip.Pants and jacket purchased for $95.00 for both.

2:46 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Pre-Cip has never struck me as being little more than coated nylon with better tailoring. Campmor sells this for $23 which may serve you just as well as pre-cip.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77699\

For $40 you can get this.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77687

I have one of Campmor's coated nylon jackets from several years ago, it's quite well made with lots of features, though nothing exotic in the way of fabric. It does keep out the rain and it's very lighweight.

3:47 p.m. on May 26, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

This outlasted my Precip pullover. The coating wore off in the shoulders proably from being under pack straps.

http://www.thepacka.com/

It works just as is described. It has length to cover shorts. It can be worn just for warmth. It packs into its own pocket. The front zipper is waterproof. The hood is large. Try it. you'll like it!

10:30 p.m. on June 6, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

pardon the very late post, but I too am gonna hop on the bandwagon for new rain gear. I have The North Face venture currently. It cost me $100 or so and I thought the brand was a step up from my other choices. I was wrong. I was walking, not even hiking, in a heavy thunderstorm and i thought the moisture i was feeling in my shoulders was just condensation, but i took it off and my shoulders and upper back were wet. I may have just gotten a lemon but I would not recomend it just to be safe.

It weighs a mere 12 oz and packs up nicely in the mesh pocket but otherwise mine wasn't so waterproof

1:09 a.m. on June 7, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Well, good things come to those who wait. I found a Sierra Designs jacket on SAC for $15. Probably not the most breathable, but it is very light and was the right price. Like SkimanJohn said... not everyone needs a $300 parka (but I do need the $300).

10:19 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

I own a Cabela's Rainy River Gore-Tex PacLite parka and pants. At the time they were $89. each. Now they're just under $100. each and STILL the best GTX PacLite buy around. The parka is high quality and has many good features, some not found on much more expensive brand name PacLite parkas. My size Large, Tall parka weight 15 oz.

The pants zip to the knee and store in their own back pocket.

Eric

10:39 a.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

If you can handled the price, The North Face Free Thinker II jacket is very good and bomb proof. I think it is around 16 to 18 oz which is good for a three layer jacket. Columbia makes a Thunderscout that is light, water proof and packable using their Omni Tech fabric. You can pick one up at Bass Pro or Cabelas for around $80. Depending on your size, you can pick up a Thunderscout for around $40 at Cabela's bargin cave. Their is also a matching set of Thunderscout pants for $40 too. I have a Thunderscout jacket I bought for about $40 at Bass Pro in the off season. I also have a Free Thinker jacket and have been well pleased with it.

I have to agree with Bill that eVent fabric is very breathable compared to Gore-tex. I'm not sure if it is true, but there was some talk on the internet that Gore-tex is threatened by eVent which has put big clothing manufacturers in a hard place because they carry a lot of Gore-tex products. This is why the price is still realtively high.

REI has about the most affordable eVent shell, and Backcountry uses eVent fabric with their own line of shell jackets, but thier jackets are rather expensive compared to REI. If you have the bucks, I think Westcomb and RAB has eVent fabric shells that Backpacker gave high ratings in their 2008 gearguide. The only con, and I'm sure the forum could clarify this, I heard with eVent is that it might not be as durable as Gore-tex when you brush up against things such as trees.

11:26 a.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

For the money, Marmot Precip pants and jacket are the best value. They work great as shells over mid layers in cold weather with snow.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply