About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Integral Designs Sil Wing

10:12 a.m. on May 4, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

I just picked up one of these catenary-cut beauties, and I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these shelters. I understand that by its design it may not be as versitile as a rectangular tarp, but are my options for setup greatly reduced in comparison? I'll be using it as my primary solo shelter for bugless conditions year-round, without a bivy whenever possible. The pictures on the website here: http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=823 show a few different configurations, but the shelter is pretty new, and so, there aren't a wealth of reviews avaialble for me to consult...any help is greatly appreciated!!

12:48 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have one and it is my favourite among the several tarps I own and it is "perfect" for my solo uses when camping with a bivy. The catenary cut of this and of my old Moss "Wing" really DO help with high winds and rough weather, I have never actually been in a "hurricane", but, have experienced 50-80mph winds in various alpine locales here in western Canada and tarps are a real pita under such conditions.

I use this plus my Integral Designs "Mega Sola" as a completely reliable emerg. camp when hunting alone in the BC mountains and have found it ideal for such use. I rig it for an awning over the door of the MS and this keeps rain out of my sleeping area and shelters my Snowpeak "Litemax" when cooking a meal.

ID makes gear that is equal to any of the best and excelled by none; I have a lot of it, have decades of serious solo wilderness use of gear and am very satisfied with it. You will not regret buying ID quality, especially for use in real wilderness where quality is more crucial than it is in suburban "camping".

1:54 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Dewey for the win!! Seriously though, thanks a great deal; it's good to know that I should expect the same quality ID is known for to manifest itself in this product as well. I've heard nothing but good things about their offerings.

Do you have any input regarding the versatility of the Sil Wing as far as setup configurations go, Dewey?

8:46 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

There are lots of possible configurations which you can rig this to, I like one end securely fastened to the ground and keeping the other end about 36" high, facing away from the prevalent winds. This gives an awning for any bivy you choose and will resist most mountain storms.

In heavy rain, rig one end lower than the other, AWAY from your tent/bivy entrance and rig the tarp TAUT, with shock cord snubbers at each tie-out tape. Get it drumtight, crawl into your bivy/tent and watch the water drain AWAY from you.....right where you want it!

2:12 a.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Well, I don't think I could be any more excited to try my new tarp next week in the Ozarks. Report coming soon...

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply