About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Survey footwear suggestions please

10:51 a.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi all... just about to head out to Papua New Guinea for two years of language surveying. During that time, I'll be trekking for up to four weeks at a time three or four times a year.

The treks will be in a range of environments from grasslands to mountains, tropical to temperate. I've been told there's a fair bit of mud to wade through too at times.

I'm trying to make decisions about footwear. Everyone who has experience of this recommends Tevas. But if everyone is using them, they might be missing out on something better. If you think Tevas would be the way to go, what do you recommend? I'm currently looking at Dozers, Toachis or Omniums so any suggestions there would be good.

So, what do you think would be best for my feet?

12:08 a.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Wish I could help. Never been to PNG or that neck o' the woods. Given that the experienced folks are recommending Tevas, I'm not clear on what sort of trekking we're talking about. IIRC, the models of Tevas you mention are all strapped sandals with heel straps or similar. I've got some Keen sandals of similar build, and I wear them all the time around town in the warm seasons, and even on simple trails and such. Wouldn't rely on them alone for trekking 3-4 weeks at a time in backcountry, though, regardless of conditions.

That all said, I place a heavy premium on the advice of people who've been there, done that. If folks who've walked that path recommend Tevas, they're probably onto something.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply