Don't Under Estimate Mother Nature!

2:51 a.m. on May 28, 2009 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Well, I under estimated Mother Nature for the first time....and the last time. LOL I done a falconry presentation for the Camelot Faire this last weekend and the weather report said it was going to be nice, just partly cloudy. Based on this (I know, shame on me) I decided to use my cheap tent instead of my nice 4 season. Well, on the last day the wind came up and was constantly blowing at least 50 mph and gusting up to 80 mph. We were holding down our canopies which also helped keep us standing up instead of being blown over by the wind. All the venders camped out at the faire and at least 1/2 were in tents, like myself. Always trying to be prepared I did decide when I pitched the tent to tie it to the fence and also to my blazer which ended up being a very smart idea. While 90% of the tents ripped away from the ground and went blowing down the road, mine stayed in place but was rocking and bending beyond my belief. It is an 8 man tent that is 16' long X 10' wide X 6' tall at the center. I also prepared by placing all my heavy equipment inside the tent along the walls and it all paid off. I done this because the ground was solid rock with about 3 inches of loose dirt on top so any type of stake was usless. However, the tent did rip a bit at the seams where the rain fly attaches to the poles with velcro loops. It looks as if the velcro actually rubbed and caught the tent body and ripped it. All-in-all it was a fantastic trip but I'll definately be using my 4 season tent from now on instead of the el-cheap-o summer tent. LOL

11:54 a.m. on May 28, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I know what you mean about mother nature I got myself stuck in a winter storm last November and I was unprepared for it as well. I wont do that again ill be more like a boy scout always be prepared.

10:31 p.m. on May 29, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Hi Eddie H.

I say just prepare for the worst you expect to encounter and you'll be okay. Especially if you get stuck camping with me! HaHa

Hey, nice owl you are holding there, I think they're real cool birds.

Isn't that Bubo Virginianus?

12:04 a.m. on May 30, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay trout I here ya on the poor weather issue all though this year I have been pretty lucky knock on wood (knock knock knock) in my last 5 trips I have only got rain on once. But I do go more prepared since I got stuck in a freak storm in November freezing rain, 12" snow & temperatures 20 degrees below expected needles to say I froze my butt off.

Yea that is a cool owl I love to listen to them at night one of my favorite places to go camping & hiking there is supposed to be 7 different types of owls there and you can here then most of the night.

10:44 a.m. on May 30, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Oh..I didn't know you were a member of the Freeze your butt off Club Mike068.

All the manly talk goes right out the window at 02:00 in freezing temps with less than enough gear doesn't it? After one night like that I sudenly found the will to carry adequate gear.

I like to listen to the owls and all the other sounds of nature, you can learn a lot just by being a listener. And to think some people bring a radio along and drown all that out! I ocassionally bring an I-pod and may listen while wade fishing, but that's where I draw the line for me.

4:32 p.m. on May 30, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Trout

Yes I am a member of the freeze your but off club too my user name is mmmiiikkkeee000666888 lol.

Yea I here ya you can definitely learn from the woodland creatures like when there all active and making there soothing sounds and all of a sudden every thing gets quite that usually means there is a predator nearby. I normally bring my blackberry and I use that as my I-Pod but I rarely ever use it but its nice to have when you want it.

5:10 a.m. on June 2, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Day 1: ~ +1 ~ +2 degrees Celcius. Hanging mist.

Day 2: Same as day 1.

Day 3: Same as days 1 and 2 until sunset. When within 1 to 2 hours the temp drop from ~ +1 or 2C and misting, to ~ -34C ~ -35C with a windchill of minus 50C or thereabouts.

Days 4 to 6: Temps remained between -25C and -30C day and night.

Does that allow me into the Feeze Your Butt Off Club?

Later!

8:12 p.m. on June 3, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

TJCeeJay,

Wow, sudden drop in temps and solid windchill there too.

To get in the club you must have suffered at least one night bad enough for it to be a defining moment. HaHa

Yeah of course man, good to hear from you.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply