Geo Dome tent - 9' x 8' (3 - season) from Quest?

11:52 p.m. on June 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with owning this tent or if they know enough about it/ the company/ tent type in general that they would be able to recommend it as a good tent or not?

I have a chance to buy it off of someone for $50 (new in box) - but they only included a basic description of it's size (9x8, 3 season) and did not include the center height or specify if the 9x8 was in regard to the inside dimensions or if it is the outside dimensions when the full fly is set up. They said the total box weight was probably around 5-10 lbs, but were not sure about the exact weight.

After doing quite a few extensive google searches and "Quest" tent review searches, etc - on this site, I have been unable to locate any info on this specific tent. I don't know if it's some kind of department store exclusive Quest tent (ie; likely a cheapy with the Quest brand name on it) or if it is actually a quality tent, and therefere, a very good deal for the price?

It looks fairly good to me in the picture, but that doesn't mean much, obviously.

This is the picture of the tent included in the sale description:

12:26 a.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Snailspace

Have you read this ?

Until fall 2004, Quest USA tents were manufactured exclusively by NorthPole and sold through a number of retailers. These original Quest tents are discontinued and no longer in production. No parts or customer service are available for Quest tents made prior to 2004.

In the fall of 2004, the Quest brand and logo were sold to Dick’s Sporting Goods. Quest tents produced since 2004 are made by several different tent manufacturers for Dick’s Sporting Goods.

I would say that for $50 it a decent buy but by no means would I say that it is a top of the line tent. It appears to have good ventilation, and has a popular design (well I like it anyway) It would probably make you a nice tent for 3 or 4 people

I would give it a try you could always resell on eBay it if you don't like it.

3:06 a.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the reply.

I had read something about the older tents being discontinued and the Quest brand being sold through Dick's, and that was what I was thinking of when I mentioned the exclusive store brand thing, and it possibly being of lesser quality now than compared to what the Quest brand used to deliver (we don't have a Dick's sporting goods store in Ontario Canada that I know of, so I wasn't sure if it was a department store or a sporting goods store only?)

It will only be me using the tent for a period of around 6 months - either in Thailand or Hawaii for a permaculture internship type thing. So other than being able to stand up to a lot of rain, I'm not too concerned about the tent being ultra light or having a tiny pack-size.

Basically, as long as it's around 7-9lbs and it doesn't totally dominate my pack space - it should be fine for what I will be doing. I would like to have a decent center height though, as the last cheapo tent I had was a bit too short as far as my minimum comfort standards go.

2:24 p.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

Dick's Sporting Goods is a big box sporting goods store. You may get a decent tent from them, but it's hard to say without seeing it in person and setting it up in the wind and rain.

Big box store tent brands get made by a variety of huge tent companies. So, for example, five different overseas companies may be making tents for X Store (as well as for others under different names) and putting the store's logo (or store's in-house brand camping logo) on the product.

When a brand like Quest is sold to another company, the new products bear no connection to the older brand in terms of quality. It just means a new company is using the name on what it's selling, which is basically tents from a big tent factory overseas.

There are exceptions to the following, but I see a ton of reviews for big box store tents from unhappy campers. It can be hit or miss and Dick's may be better than some of the others. While I would never recommend a tent from most of the other big box stores, based on how many horrible reviews I've read, I haven't heard much about Dick's, which I realize doesn't help you much. This could mean they have far fewer or no angry campers out there...a good sign for you.

These are the only Quest/Dick's tent reviews we have:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/quest-dicks/eagles-peak-7

So, it may be worth a $50 gamble for you. If you do get this tent, I strongly recommend some serious seam sealing and making sure you have all the parts for set-up.

Good luck.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply