Chinook Sleeping Bags/Junior Sleeping bags

4:37 p.m. on July 23, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I'm looking for a junior sleeping bag for my (soon to be) 9 year old daughter. I want at least a 20 degree bag (wanted a 0 degree bag, but hard to find in junior sizes), fairly light and not too terilbly expensive. During my hunt I ran across this:

Chinook Nomad

It's a very inexpensive 19 degree bag. So I'm wondering if anyone knows the Chinook brand, are they reputable, how's their service, etc? I noticed one review for an adult down Chinook sleeping bag in the gear reviews by MinisterCreek that was positive. But that's the only bag and only review for a Chinook bag.

I'm also looking at the Kelty Little Tree and the Columbia Trekster II. Kelty is a reputable brand, I don't know much about Columbia.

All this said - does anyone have a recommendation for a good mummy style junior sleeping bag? I want a temp rating as low as possible, and my daughter insists on mummy style. Prefer something light and under $100 (preferably way under). Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to have it by then.

Thanks for any info.

9:18 p.m. on July 23, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

I don't know anything about Chinook.

I suggest you check out Big Agnes's kid bags. My kids are younger than yours, but we've been very happy with their Little Red synthetic 15-degree bag. Both of my kids have them and I think it's a good bag for weight and price for kids.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/little-red-15/

They have a larger youth mummy, the Wolverine, which might work for your daughter:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/wolverine-15/

I believe Big Agnes announced this week at OR that they have new kids bags coming out next year, but I can't find that info now to confirm.

Here are a whole bunch of others that come in kid sizes, just to give you even more to think about...

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sleeping-bags/3-season/kids/

9:00 a.m. on July 24, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Thanks Alicia for the quick response. Another thing I'm running into with my daughter is that some of the bags are "too boyish" or even "ugly". It's got to look good, you know (you'd think she was turning 15 instead of 9). Most of the "girlish" bags don't fit my requirements - either too costly or not rated well for the cold. The Big Agnes Wolverine you referenced looks promising.

I'm also opening my search to women's bags - they're larger, a women's adult bag is usually around 15 inches longer than a junior but not much more weight. Right now she's doing mostly car camping or short hikes to campsites (I won't take her on a multi-day hike yet) - so the little bit of extra weight shouldn't be much of a factor right now. There's a greater selection of women's bags, and more reviews available as well.

Thanks again for the info.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply