I'm back Baby!

12:51 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I am officially in the market for a new tent after a massive amount of condensation collected in my bivy shelter. It was just as bad as a leaky tent in terms of being SOAKING WET.

I'm a light packer and I don't care too much for a heap of space. Preferrably looking for a bivy shelter or solo tent.

Waterproofing and seam tape is a must....obviously... And I suppose proper ventallation matters.

Any suggestions???

4:16 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
580 reviewer rep
670 forum posts

Sierra Designs Flashlight. One of those tents that has survived with relatively few changes for 20+ years. Lightweight, relatively inexpensive, close quarters for two but luxurious for one (no vestibule). Like many American tents it is not all that well ventilated but you can open the top of the zip on the fly to let some steam out. I used one for many years, and got my daughter a new one last summer, still impressed by the design and quality.

5:12 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Any of the Intergral Designs eVent bivys seem to be a good choice for you. They strike a nice balance between light weight and durability, and might be right up your alley. ID makes great quality gear; I have their silwing tarp and am very pleased with the construction and versatility. Their stuff in general gets very good reviews here on Trailspace as well.

7:28 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

The Flashlight is old school. I had one in the 1980's. Now, I would look at a Black Diamond, Tarptent, GoLite or something similar. Check out Trailspace for gear reviews as well as some of the UL sites for the ultralight tents.

I would never buy a bivy-too claustrophobic for my taste, plus many of the lightweight tents weigh as little as some bivys with a lot more room.

10:06 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I like my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. It is roomy enough, and very well ventilated. It does require alot of tent pegs, but it is a great solo tent. And only 2 lbs 6 oz.

10:41 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Oh Yea, I failed to mention I am BROKE! I have a budget of about a hundred bucks. With my strict money situation in mind, I found a few worth considering-

Eureka Solitiare

Eureka Spitfire

Cabela's North Star

Mountain Hardwear PCT 1

(the last one is something I can get a deal on to knock it down to my price range)

And those are in weight order. Any suggestions on these? I'm doing some research now so I am going to look up some of your suggestions.

12:36 a.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Look into a Eureka Spitfire 1, I found one on the web for $90 including shipping USPS Priority mail. I'm ordering one for myself this week I bought one off if eBay a week and a half ago but that's another story because I never received it.

Here are the specs

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-45-eureka-spitfire-1-tent.aspx#

Here is the cheapest place I have found to buy it

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/outdoor/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2791

6:42 p.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I heard bad things about the solitaire's rainfly, the mountian hardwear is too heavy (1lb heavier than spitfire) and I am still on the edge about the waterproofing of the Cabela's shelter.

Mike068 - I just looked at the price of the Spitfire on that site you sent me, needless to say I am very happy! Thank you for the link. If I can't make up my mind in a week's time I am soooo using that.

9:11 p.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've been happy with the one- and two-man versions of the spitfire, they're relatively light, and the price is right. They’re pretty storm proof with a fly that goes close to the ground and they have four extra tie-outs for wind stability. The fly has a small push-out vent on top center. I have the solitaire and can't really recommend it; it's definitely not of the quality of its predecessor model the gossamer.

11:17 p.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Kmarr

I know what you mean about being broke and every penny counts, I am too. As far as the water proofing goes I have used a spitfire (I borrowed one from a friend (yes I have a couple) and it worked fine during the rain storm) I'm sure you know its been a wet summer here in NY this year but it worked just fine. If it didn't I wouldn't want one nor would I recommend it. Like any tent you take care of it and it will take care of you.

10:23 a.m. on July 30, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Mike068- Thunderstorms that go undetected by doppler radar seem to follow us around, so would you recommend applying an extra urethane coating? I always hear the gung-ho campers telling me that even if it says its waterproof, its NOT.

5:50 p.m. on July 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Why don't choose six moon design Lunar solo? light weight, good ventilation, easy to set

12:29 p.m. on July 31, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Kmarr!!!

13 minutes left to get a MH Viperine tent (2007 outside magazine gear of the year winner) for half off--$113--at Steepandcheap.com. That's one hell of a deal...

2:40 p.m. on July 31, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

damn, that's a ridiculously good deal. I'm more the one-person type though. But now I'm going to add Steepandcheap to my list of sites to check! thanks

2:08 p.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Kmarr

I would read and follow the directions from the manufacture. IE Eureka Spitfire states that you should seam seal the un-sealed seam's, IE the seam that attaches the floor to the sides. If the manufacture does not recommend to spray the tent with a optional water proofing it may void a warranty or the chemical involved may brake down the factory sealant and cause it to leak in a short time. I for once in my life I follow the directions (which I rarely do lol) and I have never had a tent leak before its time. Also if I go spend good money on a new tent why should I have to spend a bunch more money on extra sealant to coat the tent? Also if you completely seal every thing the material cant naturally breath and that exhilarates mold etc. A lot of people miss identify condensation and leaks then dump a bunch of money in un-needed sealant's only to put themselves further behind.

4:35 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Kmarr,

Don't forget the Microlight I from LL Bean. It's about 2 lbs, and costs $125.00 so it may be a little over your budget. And if what you're looking for is a coffin style tent, well Jackpot! Beans will stand by it for a long time to come too. One hardcore, very tall (6'6" behemoth) fits well inside and loves the performance. On the other hand, Eureka has treated me very well with out of the box performance, and from what I have read here they stand behind their products as well as Beans.

5:04 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yes I have heard the same thing about LL Bead but I have not had to deal with any support issue's with LL Bean.

LL Bean Microlight solo / $129.00 MSRP
Weighs 2lb 15oz and is a bit narrower at the shoulder. The entrance is on the end with a vestibule.

Eureka Spitfire 1 / $120.00 MSRP
Weighs 2lb 12oz and is a bit longer but if you look at the tent the ends are in a point so there about the same.The entrance is on the side with a narrow vestibule.

So in conclusion it believe it comes down to personal preference. I like the side loading model myself but thats me.

8:58 p.m. on August 11, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I think I'm going to make something like a bug bivy and buy an ultralight tarp for rain protection. I just can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for so for about 1/4 the price I can make one myself. this way I can tweak it to my preferences and not worry about condensation or leaky seams

9:54 p.m. on August 11, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I like side loading too.

Hey Kmarr...take some photos for us!

11:44 p.m. on August 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yea, side loading for a solo tent is much better I think anyway.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply