Reliable Butane Lighter

1:27 p.m. on August 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I've been looking around online a lot for a reliable butane lighter for starting campfires and such at altitude. So far I have not been able to find one, anyone have any experience or recommendations on this matter?

2:11 p.m. on August 7, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace sullidan

Personally I like my zippo but its not butane and I also carry a bic and a few waterproof matches as a backup.

3:26 p.m. on August 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the tip. How does the zippo perform in weather/wind?

4:45 p.m. on August 7, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Zippo's work fine in the cold just keep it in your pocket to keep it warm & dry.

11:28 p.m. on August 8, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

The Bics actually work pretty well. You do have to keep them in your pocket in really cold weather. The "torch" lighters all seem to have problems above 10-12 thousand feet, including ones that have an adjustment that is supposed to allow higher altitude usage. I have used the Bics up to 18,000 feet reliably, on the other hand.

12:21 a.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Colibri makes some nice butane lighters, but like Mike068 said the Zippo is a good old lighter that i trust.

1:24 a.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yep Yep you can't beat an old school Zippo

1:17 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

So if "someone" were to carry a Zippo, a tiny Bic, at least a dozen strike anywhere matches, and a block of magnisum and flint, would you consider that a bit of overkill? Or is "Someone" a master pyro?

1:21 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Be sure to use triple refined butane when refilling. Buying cheap butane is the best way to ruin a lighter. I love the Colibri CX 20 and CX 10 with compass. Maybe a little heavy for hiking, but nearly indestructable and last for years and years and the 20 has a trasparent section for seeing the fuel level. I've had other models by Colibri and Xikar that were junk. You could try the search function on some cigar forums and read on this topic for hours. Also, I beleive bics and zippos are legal for air travel while blue burning butanes are not unless you buy the correct travel case and you could still get hassled.

1:31 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

No because I cary a Zippo, Bic regular size, Matches (waterproof) I would rather do with out a tent and or sleeping bag that no fire And I have a Doan magnisum & flint that stays in my day pack with a bic and my zippo in my pocket

The mini Bic's are to small if my fingers get cold

2:11 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

The Colibri is one of the lighters I was referring to that has problems at high altitude. I have one of their compass lighters and quit carrying it when I am going to be above 10,000 ft for an extended time. I have had several discussions with the Colibri people about this at the OR Show, and they are still saying that they "are working on it".

5:47 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Glad I'm not the only one!

6:04 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yes fire is a must.

Not to mention in a survival situation I like my grubs, snails, worm, bugs etc cooked LOL

7:45 p.m. on August 9, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Bill

I assume that the composition of a Zippo lighter, combined with the fuel makeup may not be the best for the conditions that you often find yourself in.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply