need a good pack for girl

4:44 p.m. on August 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

My wife needs a good pack. her current pack rubs really bad. she has a rather large chest so we need a pack that is made for women who are developed. can anyone recommend a pack that would be worth her trying on. Ive been told the ospreys are meant for skinnier (petite women). she is a size 12. so please help

thanks

scott

5:21 p.m. on August 26, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Look at REI's website. They have their own brand, plus other brands including Granite Gear and Gregory packs for women-the Granite Gear packs are the"Ki" models. I believe the straps are shaped differently than on the men's packs for one thing and the hip belts are different. The site should have all the info. If you can, try them on somewhere, but if you mailorder from someone like REI, they will take it back if it doesn't fit right. Look at the manufacturers' sites as well to see all of their models.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500053&cat=4500573&hist=cat%2C4500053%3ABackpacking+--+Internal+Frame%5Ecat%2C4500573%3AWomen%27s+Weekend+Trip+Packs

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500053&cat=9986490&hist=cat%2C4500053%3ABackpacking+--+Internal+Frame%5Ecat%2C9986490%3AUltralight+Packs

1:36 a.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

thanks but I was hoping to get a recommendation from a female as to what they used or like. I am on REI site every day but again looking for some sort of recommendation. thanks again.

10:31 a.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Can i suggest you google backpacking/climbing forums in your area to find more female input on the matter.What part of the country are you in?

11:50 a.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

The Chinkapin X 65 from Coleman is a good pack. I have a friend who has one and it is designed especially for women. The shoulder straps adjust differently than they do for men to accomidate the chest area better.

[url=http://www.coleman.com]www.coleman.com

Specifically made for a women's frame
• Capacity: 2947 - 4400 cu.in. / 65 L• Pack weight: 4lbs. 2 oz.• Harness system adjusts to fit torso range of 14" - 21"• Top loading, internal frame backpack• Top lid converts easily into a lumbar pack• Pack fabrics: 210D Silicone treated nylon diamond ripstop provides outstanding water repellency and shedding 1000D nylon pack cloth bottom for abrasion resistance • Front kangaroo pocket• 4 large external side pockets• Waterproof zippers• Hydration ready (bladder not included)• Ice axe loops and 4 additional lash points (keepers included)• Map pocket• Removable frame sheet and 2 AL stays• Separate sleeping bag compartment

3:48 p.m. on August 29, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

So a female opinion here(uncreative when it came to a screen name so I went with a knick name of my son's, I figured info on a need to know on the web anyway), so why do it have to be a female pack? I actually use a Kelty Tioga 5500. I am thin, but it adjusts small enough, and I find it very confortable. I would go to a store where they sell a lot of packs and have them put weight in them and try them and see how they feel. If you don't live close to anywhere, I don't, I picked an web store that had free return shipping, and a 90 day return policy, so I would have a chance to put weight in it and make sure it fit correctly. I have a womens internal frame pack(its a mountain smith) but I like the kelty external frame better, its more confortable, and I can fit a lot more in it.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply