arcteryx arrakis 40 acceptance inside air plane cabin

2:47 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

i fell in love with the arcteryx arrakis 40,i learned it is 2440 cu inches.would that size definitely qualify it as a plane carry on luggage or not.i am trying to avoid regular luggage check in to save myself the trouble.also i want to know if the pack is definitely made in canada and not somewhere in the far east.eager for some feedback on both concerns,regards.

3:07 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Contact the airlines?

3:10 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Sorry forgot about the last part of your question.I have read on the net and seen postings that some of their stuff is now made in Asia.I do not think this in itself is a bad thing but feel that their stuff is way over priced regardless of were it is made.The sad part is that if they really are making some of it in Asia why are they still charging so much.

3:40 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

thanks man,but the airline seem to be evasive on the answer,i guess it could be the reason which country the airline is in,may be they had problems with travellers.i would appreciate if i could get a verification based on international aviation standards,i dont seem to be getting an answer searching these on the net,they would not convert the cubic inches into the known lxwxh set by the airlines.still uncertain,thanks.

4:00 p.m. on September 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

This web site may be of help.

http://www.onebag.com/

The theme of the site is traveling with only carry on luggage. If you browse the site you may find international standards for carry on pieces.

8:20 p.m. on September 3, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

That pack is made in Canada still. As far as its size, it will definitely qualify as a carry on. I have taken a 45L pack on before without issue.

10:48 a.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

dear CWF,i contacted the airline which is martin air ,and they said the maximum allowed carry on is "43 litres -tall" that is 40x25x50 cms which equals to 115 cm total,the arrakis 40 dimensions are 48 inches which equals 121.9 cm,which is 6.9 cm more than the allowed dimensions,do you think i can still carry it inside the plane cabin.thanks.

10:51 a.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

correction ,the allowed is 40 litres (not 43), and the arrakis is 43 (tall),would it fit in the cabin?

11:41 a.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

The real answer is not the published guidelines (they are guidelines, after all, not strict rules), but the personnel at the airport. Some airlines have a measurement device at the check-in counter or at the gate. It may be a box that you place your intended carry-on into or it may be an L-shaped stand with height, width, depth outlines on it. I prefer the box, since if I pack mostly soft stuff, I can do a bit of compression to get the pack into it, where the outline stand allows a soft pack to droop outside the edges.

However, I have never had one of my packs refused as carryon (I have several packs that are nominally 40L). And I see people carrying armloads of stuff that are clearly way out of line.

So, you can get all the comments you want from the websites, airline phones, and checkin counter. But the reality is that if you are somewhere close and don't make a show of it, you can get your 43L pack on board with you. Compress your stuff as much as possible and tighten down all the compression straps. No guarantees, though - you might get someone from TSA at the security gate or at the boarding gate who got up on the wrong side of the bed who hassles you even with a 20L pack or if you do as I often do setting off for expeditions, wearing your plastic climbing double boots (actually only got hassled once doing this, and the supervisor ended up waving me through anyway).

Depends a lot on your attitude as well - get confrontational with the TSA and airline staff and they will hassle you back twice as hard. Act real nice (mostly keep quiet) and you can get a huge amount of carryon through.

1:01 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I agree completely with Bill. You should be able to compress the pack enough to give it an appearance of a smaller pack. I have never had an issue and as Bill said, I have seen some carry on fully packed 80L backpacks.

3:07 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

thanks a lot guys,very detailed answers,however,i got an answer today from martinair and they said the max is 115 cms,not an inch more (thats what they said), as i will be stopped at the transit country which is holland,and not being allowed to take it in the cabin.i made my mind to buy one within range ,may be i will ask arcteryx to do one particularly for me,ha ha ha.

3:37 p.m. on September 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

A lot of shoes in the UK are also made in Asia but the price is still high. It's just more profits for the makers and probably less quality (usually) for the user.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply