Hiking cookware recommendations?

9:50 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I currently have a MSR Whisperlite stove and am looking to get a cookset, preferrably for two, but I think we can manage with a cookset for one. Any suggestions there? Most importantly I was looking at the GSI Dualist set and a Snowpeak titanium Multi-Compact. I was wondering if the Whisperlite fits inside either of these and futhermore if there were any recommendations for a good 2 person set. No, I don't expect "the perfect" set like some people might, I would like something relatively light weight, fits the stove and rugged if possible. Any help or suggestions from a packing veteran would be appreciated...thanks!

10:07 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Good question, I am not a gear head myself, but I wonder if anyone has compiled a cross reference data base for cookware and stove nesting capabilities? I'll look around. I also have a Whisperlite and am leaning towards the GSI cookware to replace my old stainless set.

I've had the same gear for 13 years, so I don't experiment much or have a broad base of knowledge with stoves or cookware.

I like to wear stuff out before I replace it.

11:07 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I have a Snow Peak Titanium Cook Set, 3Pcs STW-001T and a Snow Peak Giga Stove it all nest together perfectly with the few additions, a cup and a simmer plate I made it see the pic below. The main set is what I would conciser a large one person set and a small 2 person set hopefully this helps you.

11:11 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I have the GSI Soloist, since I usually go alone. You could fit all kinds of stoves inside that one. For instance, a Svea 123 fits perfectly, if you take the pot supports out of the windscreen. Which gives you another little cookpot -- I don't like the Svea lid as a cup, but it makes a nice little 12 ounce pan. The mug/bowl which comes with the Soloist fits right on top of the Svea. It could have been designed that way. I know I could fit a Whisperlite in the Soloist; I expect you could in the Dualist also, the way the bowls and cups stack together, and since it is 1.8 liter instead of 1.1 -- it would be a nice combo. (I'm not sure you could fit the Svea in the Dualist, because it has both bowls and mugs, instead of one mug/bowl -- May have to take it along with me sometime to an outdoors store and check it out.)

I love the Soloist -- it is lightweight (not as light as titanium but consider the price), tough, and has a lot of nice little features that make it a pleasure to use. I am sure you would find the same thing about the Dualist.

Oh, by the way, I also have an old stainless Coleman Peak 1 cook kit which would be great for two. The Whisperlite definitely fits in this. Coleman does not make the exact same kit any more, but there are very similar models available from Coleman, MSR (the Alpine), and Texsport (Backpacker Stainless Cook Set.)

10:46 a.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Look at my review of the MSR Flex2 Here. Awesome gear for a reasonable price. Titanium stuff is so expensive and hard to clean IMO.

10:48 a.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I like the Brunton IB cookset. 2 pots, 1L & .8L, hard anodized alumnium and a lid with holes for straining/draining...weighs in at 9.4oz. Take the whole set for 2 or 1 if going solo. Can be stacked for a double boiler.

b.gin

10:56 a.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Good question, I am not a gear head myself, but I wonder if anyone has compiled a cross reference data base for cookware and stove nesting capabilities? I'll look around. I also have a Whisperlite and am leaning towards the GSI cookware to replace my old stainless set.

I've had the same gear for 13 years, so I don't experiment much or have a broad base of knowledge with stoves or cookware.

Iam the same way with some of my gear.I have upgraded in some areas due to the new technology things have become lighter and mor comfy.I still use my old sigg aluminium locking handle pots,from the 70's,and my old beat up MSR pots,forgot what they are called.Tried titanium but whay to much money for so few ounces and it sucks to cook with.I do have the MSR titan kettle for solo trips were i will only boil water and crewed with my pocket rocket is a very light set up at only 7.5oz without canister.

11:55 a.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Having acquired way too many cook kits over the years and tried a variety of materials, I have settled on anodized aluminum. It conducts the heat better than anything else out there, especially when made with the corrugated "fire rings" or the circular grooves in the bottom, plus being anodized, is easy to clean.

Stainless is moderately easy to clean, though it does burn food, but it is fairly poor at even heat conduction. Titanium is even worse - often easy to clean, but very expensive and a very poor heat conductor (reason Ti pots are so thin), which is why you can easily scorch snow when trying to melt it in a Ti pot, and it frequently burns a little ring of your food in the pot bottom matching the shape of the flame. The old aluminum pots (I still really like my Sigg cooker for my Svea 123) were great for cooking, but they bend easily.

GSI has several versions of their anodized aluminum to suit anyone's backpacking needs, as do several other companies (MSR, Snowpeak, others). GSI's are less expensive and easy to find. Plus We really like to take the small wok for backcountry gourmet cooking (we use the wok at home, too, rather than our genuine steel one).

3:00 p.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

For me the cookset I take with me depends on what I'm planning on doing. If I am only using the cookset for single pot meals and/or coffee then the GSI dualist is what I take with me. If want to have more options (like pancakes, hashbrowns or fish (fresh from the lake/river) then I will take the GSI Bugaboo Backpacker Cookset and a frisbee for a plate.

I can fit my MSR SuperFly Stove into either of these cooksets; but I do have to find a different spot to store the fuel cannister(s) with either set.

9:55 a.m. on October 2, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Me too, but my two decade old Seva stove just won't quit! :-)

5:48 p.m. on October 2, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I have a SnowPeak Ti pot set that has served me well, but have switched to the Brunton IB Cookset (much better designed pot). I also use a Brunton Talon stove; cheap, light and effective.

9:04 p.m. on October 2, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

The smaller the cookset the better. I sure don't like cleaning more than one pot and a spoon 2 or 3 times a day, especially in the winter. Titanium is at the top of the heap in my opinion. My current favorite, even for solo backpacking, is a 2 liter MSR "Seagull" titanium pot. I use it without the lid and without the pot holder, the sides stay cool enough to hold when cooking. I carry a small cut 2 inch green scrubber which makes cleaner very easy.

The secret to cooking with titanium is to stir always and use coconut oil for things like scrambled eggs. When I take another person out with me, our entire cooking set consists of an insulated cup for one person to eat out of, 2 lexan spoons, and my 2 liter pot. What else is needed? Below is my pot with a Tasty Bite meal pouch, ready to cook and eat.

11:16 a.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have the Ledmark 2 person cookset . I dont know if your stove would fit but for the price its a good set. My stove and windscreen fits snugly into my coffee pot.

In the forground you can see the 1.5 pot on the stove. One of the two red cups that have measuring marks on them. And near the waterbottle you can see the pan and other pot nest together.

4:48 p.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Snowpeak spork for eating.

For single person, I use the MSR Titanium Kettle @ 4.2 oz. It is perfect with the SmowPeak Giga and an aluminum foil wind screen. I use it for everything including my bowl and everything fits in the pot.

For larger meals or two plus people, I use the REI Ti Ware 1.3 Liter pot. At 6oz. with the lid and built in handles, I couldn't ask for more. Due to non-stick surface, you have to be careful cooking. For a mug and measuring cup, I use a 1/2 liter water bottle with a homemade cozy. The water bottle works for everything except oat meal... too hard to get back out. For thoes trips I bring a insulated mug with markings on the inside instead. Not as the versatile as the water bottle, but easier to eat out of.

4:48 a.m. on October 26, 2009 (EDT)
202 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Personally I use the Snowpeak 3 piece Titanium cookset (STW-100T) if it is in warm weather and it is just me and my girlfriend. If it is cold outside and it is me and my girlfriend and maybe one other person I bring along a Snowpeak Trek 1400 (SCS-009T). The reason I bring the Trek 1400 is because when it gets cold outside I like to boil up some water, pour it in a Nalgene, and put it in my bag about 30 minutes before bed. There is nothing more comfortable than climbing into a sleeping bag that is already warm and toasty. The water in the bottle stays warm for a good 8 hours. Anyway back on topic, for a stove I either use a Snowpeak Giga Power Stove (GS-100A) or a Snowpeak Lite Max (GST-120). Nothing really dictates which stove I bring, just whatever I feel like bringing that trip. I have used these cooksets and stoves for awhile and I love them. They are definitely worth the consideration.

Also which stove and cookset combo you're taking depends on what kind of cooking you're going to be doing. Are you looking to cook gourmet meals, simple meals, or just boil water?

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply