Pack for traveling in Europe

10:44 a.m. on December 23, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Howdy, I'm a new guy on the forum, and could really use y'alls help! My wife and I are taking our 10 year anniversary trip to Europe, but it isn't what you think (not a backpacking thru Europe kind of trip). All of our friends have suggested just taking a pack to carry our stuff in, and I need help in selecting an appropriately sized pack.

I am 6'4" 290 lbs with a long torso. I wear a size 13 shoe, so you can see my dilemma! I just have big clothes! I've looked at a 5600 Kelty, but didn't know if it would hold enough for a 12 day trip. We are planning on only packing 6 days worth of clothing and doing laundry mid-way thru the trip, so that should significantly cut down on my packing. I liked the fact that I could adjust the back length for my long torso, and got the fit just right.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Jody

1:09 a.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

It's hard to tell from your post what exactly you intend to be doing, other than not backpacking, but this forum isn't a travel site, it is a backpacking site. My advice is that the Kelty is far too big. If you can't fit everything for a casual 12 day trip into a 3000 c.i. pack, you are taking too much. I've known people who've traveled around the world for months with much smaller packs. Given your size, however, I could be wrong.

I can fit 12 days worth of stuff into a carry on roller bag. I dress very casually when I travel, so no suit, etc. or extra dress shoes. A friend of mine spent 10 days or so in India with one of my packs that is around 3000 c.i. or so.

There are sites like bootsnall or Lonely Planet that are more travel oriented. You should ask there or get a good budget travel book that may have packing tips.

2:20 p.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

http://www.onebag.com/

good pack recomendations here - look to the MEC brand. I have a couple of these and they are well made.

http://www.meipacks.com/

6:10 p.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Good travel site Alan. Thanks for the link.

I partly disagree with him on wheels, though. I have a small Samsonite bag with wheels that I have used for years and lend to a friend regularly. It's a carryon and the wheels and handle take up little room. Perfect for short trips. BUT, I agree that for an extended trip overseas as a tourist, no way I'd take it.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply