Newer boot designs GAK!

12:51 a.m. on January 7, 2010 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I'm getting a bit tired of some newer boot designs with color combinations that look like clown shoes.

And they are even putting wierd putting colors with wierd designs on the soles.

Who designs these things? (French runway fashion designers?)

What ever happened to brown or gray? Something that blends with Nature, not a pair that says, "Hey! Look! I have the latest cool new boots."

BAH! Humbug!

7:59 p.m. on January 7, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

Reminds me of one year at the Outdoor Retailer Show when I went up to the booth of one of the major sock manufacturers (one I use a lot of their socks) and asked what's new in socks. The rep then proceeded to spend 10 minutes talking about all "the new colors for this season". Hey, who sees the color of the socks when they are inside the boots? What I care about is the comfort, warmth, durability, and resistance to odor buildup. Function first, fashion maybe 10th place.

8:38 p.m. on January 7, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I agree, My latest boot purchase, a pair of Asolo FSN hikers, look silly to me. I got them for shorter dayhikes, they were on discount.

They fit good, but jeez, what's with the fancy design? Looks stupid to me, then again I'm used to the look of full grain leather.

I don't like fashion in my outdoor gear, it is not needed.

12:00 a.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I agree the "new color schemes" are an eye sore to me as well. I don't know if it a marketing ploy or what it is. Maybe if ya pass someone on the trail their feet are more noticeable or when ya go to the local outfitter they are the 1st ones ya notice on the wall? I dunno. I will stick w/my earth tones and FGLs any day.

Whats next Zubaz and Jams making a comeback? Then again maybe Asolo will come out with the lime green and fluorescent pink hikers I have been so much desiring over the years...NOT !!!

10:40 a.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I dont feel that a boot needs all the flash either folks but in an ever continueing jammed market of retailers they will always wish to stand out from each other.I must admitt that a lot of the newer boots are much more comfortable right out of the box.No they wont last as long but my feet shure like it.ymmv

3:24 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Trouthunter i forgot to add i dont think those boots of yours look bad at all.I have seen much worse with bright orange and the like .Maybe we should all e-mail the boot companys and voice our opinions?

3:25 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

3:33 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I have had a few pairs of Asolos with my current pair being the Sassalongs. I'm not quite sure what or who they have designing their boots, but their getting more fugly IMO and their quality has really went down hill. I have had to return 3 pairs for the soles separating from the boot, and thats from just like hikes and daily use over 2 months.

7:51 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Okay I take it back, MOJOMAN you win.

9:01 p.m. on January 8, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

Haha not contest here Trout!

My firstt pair were the FSN 95's I believe and they were great! They lasted me 6 years before the soles wore down, thus the reason why I bought 2 more pairs. One being the Fugitives (which kept coming apart) and the Sassalongs which are holding up a bit better.

8:55 p.m. on January 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
580 forum posts

It's not bad enough that the colors would gag a maggot, but look at the unnecessary stitching. Each of those superfluous stitches represents another point to fray and, of course, leak. Fine on a sidewalk on a pleasant day - if you want to scare small children - but in the backcountry?

10:51 p.m. on January 10, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I agree with you OVM on the stitches. My last pair of Fugitives leaked after only 4 months! I figured it was the stitches that had poked through the Gore-tex liner. The sole started to come off my left boot so I threw on some seam sealer and just use them for everyday messing around now. The Sassalongs I have now are full grain nubuck and have had them for over a year with no problems as of yet.

7:29 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Yeah, stitching unnecssary "design" layers & shapes of leather and fabric creates more vulnerable spots for wear. That's what happened to my 1st (& only) pair of KEENE eVent boots. Took 'em right back to REI for a refund when they failed after ONE weekend hiking slot canyons in Utah. I'm sticking to my Danners.

Imagine if they let some of these boot "designers" loose on military boots. It would totally ruin the unwritten rule for gays in the military. We all know "Don't ask, don't tell." but "Don't accessorize" is the unwritten rule. And some of these wild colors and designs in hiking boots classify as hiking "accessories".

7:56 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

MOJOMAN- Those Asolos are...ummm...whats the word. Unique? Anywho, I am searching for them as I type this. Granted no zebra print with integrated hot pink highlights but they will definitely scare the bears away, then again I think they would scare just about anything away. PERFECT lol.

10:01 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Now that is both ugly and unneeded for all!!!

2:48 a.m. on January 12, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Wait a sec Skimanjohn...My wife said they're pretty.... Where is the harm in that?(not functional just pretty lol. cut me a lil slack here....PLEASE?)

5:20 p.m. on January 12, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

Heres what the Sassalongs look like, I bought these over a year ago and they have held up really well. Very comfortable too.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply