Giga Tent-opinions?

1:31 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I ran across these while looking for tents and couldn't find any reviews about them anywhere. Anyone have any experience with these?

Here is the website http://www.gigatent.com/index.asp

10:37 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I'm skeptical of anyone who can't do basic math, especially when you're entrusting your life to something they manufacture. It seems these folks can't decide on how big the vestibule is on their base backpacking tent.

The diagram says the vestibule is 10 ft/sq. The table says it's 14 ft/sq. I accidentally cutoff the length measurement for the tent, but it's 8 ft. The formula for the area of a triangle (a = 1/2bh) suggests it should be 12 ft/sq. Which is it? IMHO, who cares. It sounds cheap snd sketchy to me.

1:46 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I see these type of diagrams all the time. Mostarnt even close to area or even shape of shelter. To me it doesnt matter. Materal, water proofing, seem taping is much more important. I just picked up a Dugdale tent that had a diagram that wasnt even the same tent. I figured it out myself. Its a nice tent. Point is, a faulty diagram does not meen poor quality, just sales lazyness.

3:37 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

A quick comparison to the wall and fly material in Eureka and Marmot tents suggests that the materials used in the Giga are a bit lighter-weight. They also use fiberglass poles instead of aluminum.

Say what you will about faulty schematics, but I maintain that one point of laziness is rarely isolated within an organization. it's a bad omen on what appears to be a cheaply-made, unproven tent.

5:01 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Correction; Ony their 2 cheap dome tents use fiberglass poles. The other 4 backpacking tents use aluminum.

7:15 a.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

If you do your research you will find that most tents are made gy 4 manifactures in china. Sold under many names. Lots of tents overseas (see tent reviews from the UK). Ihe price range varys alot depending who puts their name on it. I had a $35 Coleman that held up in storms when other pricier tent failed. Truth is, many times you are paying for a name. Not all the time true, But if you look around you will find the same tent with the same specs with differant names.

8:03 a.m. on January 30, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

gdurheim,

Your shelter, whether it be a tent, hammock, bivy, or something else, is arguably the single most important piece of gear you will carry. If this is going to be a piece of gear you will be depending on as your sole shelter, I would recommend going with a brand / model with a proven track record. By sole shelter I mean if this is going to be your only or primary tent for backpacking, if you are going to be car camping you can always go get in the car if the tent does not perform.

I am not familiar with the Giga tent, but looking at the specs I'm not too excited, and the model I looked at says they use 7000 series aluminum poles but does not offer the name of the pole manufacturer.

1:57 a.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I agree with yock and trouthunter. I checked the specs and set up instructions for the Mt. Washington model; it had the appearance of a decent tent, but on closer examination the design is crap. A modern back packing tent that requires the user to tie the top of the tent to the intersecting poles doesn't fill me with confidence in either the engineering or the reliability of the tent. In addition the warranty information is inconsistent; the Mt. Washington instructions state a 5 year period, elsewhere it's listed as 3 years. I am not impressed by any of Giga Tent's toys.

7:00 a.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This is a review of an inexpencive tent. And somes up how I buy tents.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/wenzel/starlite/review/7122/

You may have to do some work on it, but I kinda like doing that sort of thing. In 45 years of camping I have only once picked up a dog of a tent. Never compair a $300 tent to a $50 tent. But I have been in $50 tents through storms that took down $300 tents. Was it me or the tent? Dont know, dosnt matter.

If your plans are to survive in truly death defiying areas I would go with the high profile tents. If not, all it has to do is keep you dry and bug free. Good luck, and have fun.

One last thing. Alittle story.

When I was younger, I went car camping with the family all the time. The wife and I had a fairly high dollar Eureka tent with aluminum poles. My oldest daughter age 8 had a $15 Winabago (sp) tent. We had to seek shelter one time. A tornado came though the campground. When it was over tents were everywhere. The Eureka had a bent pole and was half down with water in it. Beside it was that cheap little tent standing proud. I got the flashlight, and checked it out. Not a drip of water got in. That little tent never once failed. The fabric finally fell apart after ten years of use. It changed my mind on tents forever.

3:50 p.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Upon further review I think I will pass on these tents. Thanks for the input and the tips guys. :)

12:02 a.m. on February 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I just found this Walrus Warp 2+2 on eBay for $125 Buy It Now. With the additional $12 shipping cost, it is an extremely affordable 4 season tent. I believe there's a review of the tent on this site. I am not the seller.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply